So, not to keep going on about the R, but I have been waiting on more detailed pre-reviews than just the night of release that we saw a plethera of. First one came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2xjMMbPkc

Jarid Polin is a Nikon shooter and really doesn't do much to hide his bias. So, for him to be pleasantly surprised is something. Again hearing about how good the R feels in hand. Overall, the R seems like a real winner, especially at the price point.

I will also say, I am entertained by all the references (here and in other places) to how similar the R is to a DSLR.....so, just use a DSLR

That said, the video of the video from the EVF does make it look nice. Toggling between a FF and APS-C mode in an EVF would be a nice feature.

But, this is still a step down from my 5DIV, as far as I am concerned. A better body, few more features and something else that I do not current have will be necessary to get people like me to convert. So, I am interested in the lenses only available in RF. Otherwise, I am years away.

With that in mind, I really want to know more about the 400/600 III vs the 400/600 II. Will we see a replacement to my newly purchased (and quickly becoming loved) 500 II?

The MTF charts of the new lenses actually are lower than the older versions. Canon did modify their presentation of the MTF chart (like they weren't confusing enough), but there is a significant drop, so unless they modified their method as well, there could be a price paid in IQ for the lower weight.