Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - Image of the Week #38

2018 - Image of the Week #38

Sorry that I do not yet have a judge for Week 37. I have multiple PMs out. If you wouldn't mind judging, please PM me. Thanks....

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images to compete for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and, finally, in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Image of the Year."

• The ​Week 38 entry period will be from Monday, September 17th through/including Sunday, September 23rd.
    • Please supply a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, and any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by HDNitehawk.

Thanks and Good Luck!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-20-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Portrait of a Jellyfish

Portrait of a Jellyfish.jpg by Wesley Smith, on Flickr

"Freedom" at Sunset

Freedom of the Human Spirit
    by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr
    Artist is Martin Fredericks.

Starry night at museum

Finally had pretty much cloudless night, just some fog in ground level to go out and have some milky way pictures.

21 images stacked on this one.Nautelankoski museum by night by Kari, on Flickr

"Big Lunch"

6S0A8888 by kayaker72, on Flickr

"Jumper"

Jumper by Stephen, on Flickr

I narrowed it down to Big Lunch and Jumper.

Big Lunch technically is excellent. It is a very good pick, but one thing I have found in wildlife photography is often the second before and after often matter the most.
    I suspect the bird flipped the fish up to suck it down its gullet just an instant after this. That instant would have been the great pic and this one is a very good pic.
    Still well done.

Jumper at the first instant of seeing I said wow. Then the photographer in me kicked in and I realized it couldn't be possible. A long duration like this the fish should have been a blurred mess. The more I looked the more I thought the fish was to high.

Please correct me if I am wrong Stephen, if I am we want to know how you did this.

In the end I am going for "Jumper". The wildlife photographic purist in me initially did not want to, but the truth is if these were all lined up on the wall in a gallery I would stop and look at "Jumper" the longest. It has a bit of a wow factor.

Congrats Stephen, and great choice Rick. And I agree.....when I saw jumper, stunning image, not possible, but what an image. But it is a pinnacle moment.

As for the before and after with the loon chick. I wish there was a common pinnacle moment with loons where they flip the fish up, but they seem to eat with more of a slow swallowing motion. The pinnacle moment I tend to really like is the handoff of the fish from the parent to the chick. Unfortunately, that happened below water in this instance (fish to heavy?), so I couldn't capture the handoff.

but, if interested, here are a few shots right after the one I entered:

Name:  TDP-8890.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  TDP-8891.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  140.1 KB

Probably my next favorite shot:
    Name:  TDP-8892.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  143.9 KB

the finale (about 4 shots before this, but don't want to belabor the point)

Name:  TDP-8896.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  157.0 KB

Looking at these, maybe I should do a series.....

Anyway...animal behavior is interesting.....and, obviously, I really enjoy the loons....

I could be wrong but I looked at "Jumper" and immediately decided it was not a photo - It was a "composite". That is a melding of two photos. The water is obviously a slow shutter speed and the fish to be that sharp obviously a fast shutter speed. I must admit I did look at it the longest though. Very Nice.
    Last edited by Lumens; 09-24-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Thanks for the selection and kind words.

To clarify how it was made, it is indeed a composite image from two exposures: one long duration for the falls and one shorter for the fish. The camera was tripod mounted for both shots (and several others) so the jump height is accurate...actually the shot before has the fish higher, I just didn't like the positioning as much. These salmon really do jump very high when jumping up a falls! Quite amazing to see actually. And if you time the season right the frequency of jumping fish is very high...several shots I have three different fish jumping at the same time.

Regarding this being a composite image, if that is outside the scope of these contests, then I'll happily withdraw my entry. I'm not generally into heavy photo manipulation but some of my images do blend multiple shots (either for focus stacking or exposure/HDR). Is this something that needs to be stated when entering photos? Or is it generally not acceptable?

Stephen