Late to the party, but figure I can chime in nonetheless.

If I am tethering, I tether into Capture One. Blows Lightroom out of the water on so many levels. Either during or after the session, I cull the images down to the winners or at least the top of the heap, and use Cmd-J to move those selected images to the Selects folder. I then copy those *.CR2 files into the corresponding LR catalog (see below) in the Originals folder.

I create a new Lightroom Catalog for every gig - just keeps things cleaner for me. Once the catalog is created (there's something magic about the folder it creates so I don't mess with it and just let it do it), I create subfolders "Exports" and "Originals". The original images are put into the Originals folder, often via scripts I use to ingest my memory cards. Every image gets 5 stars and a standard preview is created so I can see the whole image faster once that's done. I set a filter to only show the five-star images, and do (final, if mostly culled in C1) culling by downgrading any unamazing images down to fewer stars. 50% of editing happens in LR and 50% in PS, so I do the things that I want the most RAW control in LR, use Cmd-E to send the image to Photoshop, do my thing in PS, save and come back to LR, and finish the editing. Export to the Exports folder in whatever sizes are correct for the need. All of those JPEGs go through JPEGmini for file size savings.

Once the export is complete and images delivered, the LR catalog (and C1 session if used) go to our NAS. I rerun the sync job to copy the newest NAS files to my direct-attach Drobo, and rerun the sync job to the 2 (of 4) offsite drives I use for backup. Those drives go to my $dayjob office and storage unit, respectively, and the drives that were there come home.