I am an enthusiast, farther from pro than the usual forum participants. I am satisfied with a different approach.

For a long while I have used Photoshop Elements as my organizer and its editor as one of the two ways to process. For shots that do not benefit much from the Digital Lens Optimizer, I skip DPP.

When I have been using a “good” lens, I usually cull mostly in camera. I then pull groups of 6-12 raw files into the Adobe Camera Raw ( that is part of Elements editor) and apply basic corrections to the whole group. Next I perform any special adjustments to individual files that are still in the editor. I then convert to jpegs with a box checked that puts them automatically into the organizer.

For a weaker lens I edit with DPP. I typically change the profile of a batch to Neutral, apply DLO , then change to the desired profile or custom adjustments for that batch. Next I convert the batch to jpegs and insert the whole batch into the Elements organizer.

It is easy to further cull from the Elements organizer. If I need to manipulate portions of an image , I do that in the Elements editor using the jpeg file.
For a rare shot that is special to me, I may go back to the original RAW file and start over again with either DPP or Adobe Camera Raw, depending on what I need to change in the processing.

After a few months I get rid of the RAW files from my working computer. They are still available backed up on a portable drive. The ultimate archive is on an SD card in a safe deposit box.

I realize there are many additional features with the full version of Photoshop, and that a pro who comes home from an event with 2000 shots will want something like Lightroom. However, I don’t feel limited by the PSE software for my level of skills.