Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eos r

Eos r

Other than the flip screen, this comment from Bryan's review is the most welcome development:

"And, using a completely electronic shutter is another option. The EOS R has that feature, aptly named silent shutter, allowing it to capture images in complete silence."

For wildlife this is a nice addition.

I have heard of some journalists and wedding photographers very interested in that feature as well.

Other news of the day...Roger did the tear down.....

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...orless-camera/

I'm excited for the Eos R - although there seems to be a couple short falls with the silent shutter at the moment- still only single shot- and not continuous focus.
    BUT it will probably be fixed in software.
    I've been doing weddings 3 years now, the silent mode on the Canon 5Diii is usually good enough. But I have 1/2 switched to Sony for the 100% silent mode.
    The Sony really is a great beast and with the adapter I can use my Canon lenses. -- But I still prefer the canon to adjust focus point and ergonomics.
    Last edited by Kombi; 11-17-2018 at 06:33 AM.

IF canon ever decides to add intervalometer to R...i will buy it instantly =)

Is anyone here using the R?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Is anyone here using the R?

Dave
    I believe this group has pretty successfully avoided the R. Busted was looking at the RP. Neuroanatomist does have an R.

As an FYI, there is a good thread on the R/RP:
    https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/canon-rp-thread.37329/
    https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/replacement-eos-r-or-5d-mark-iv-again.37028/
    This is more just pretty pictures, but it does seem like people are coming along with the R even in terms of BIF...
    https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1585893/0

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I believe this group has pretty successfully avoided the R. Busted was looking at the RP. Neuroanatomist does have an R.

As an FYI, there is a good thread on the R/RP:
    https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/canon-rp-thread.37329/
    https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/replacement-eos-r-or-5d-mark-iv-again.37028/
    This is more just pretty pictures, but it does seem like people are coming along with the R even in terms of BIF...
    https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1585893/0
    I held the R in my hands tonight and the overall conclusion is that mirrorless is not for me.

1. I have a medium size hands and don't like the smaller grip. This is why I left the Rebel line. There is noticeably less to hold onto than the 6D.
    2. I can't get used to the EVF. It is large and clear, but is like watching the scene through a TV. It's just weird to me.
    3. I am a back button focus user and the AF ON button placement is too close to the shutter. My right thumb falls perfectly on the 6D AF ON button.

If I buy another camera in the short term it will certainly be the 6D Mark II. I was an outspoken critic of this camera upon release.on this forum, but have warmed to it as my wife has used one and really likes hers.

1. Ergonomics to me are near perfect, I've been using the original 6D for 6 years now so it is programmed into my brain
    2. AF point reliability consistency vs 6D one cross type center point
    3. Flippy touch screen
    4. Moderate resolution gain
    5. It is likely the last of its kind

The low ISO DR is disappointing, but... the many good factors it brings to the table out weigh the bad. I typically shoot HDR when range is an issue and will blend that image with a conventionally edited image.

Dave

I held the R in my hands tonight and the overall conclusion is that mirrorless is not for me.

1. I have a medium size hands and don't like the smaller grip. This is why I left the Rebel line. There is noticeably less to hold onto than the 6D.
    2. I can't get used to the EVF. It is large and clear, but is like watching the scene through a TV. It's just weird to me.
    3. I am a back button focus user and the AF ON button placement is too close to the shutter. My right thumb falls perfectly on the 6D AF ON button.

While different, this list reminded me of why I do not enjoy using my M3 system. Despite the AF that could be better, it is a very capable system. But to hold the very small M3 with one hand, then zooming this tiny lens with the other just feels awkward. On a DSLR, just by being bigger, the same arrangement feels natural. Then on something small, awkward. Doing everything with one hand on the G7XII feels natural.

What can I say, ergonomics is real.

The EVF works (evf-dc1 mounted to the M3), but it is dead on your #2. With an OVF I feel like I am part of the scene so I enjoy the overall experience, so far my experience with EVFs is that I suddenly feel removed from the scene, like I am watching a video of the scene and I enjoy the experience less.

As a hobbyist, enjoyment of the experience is very high on my criteria for a camera. As I've watched, a number of the youtubers that have switched to Sony do not use the EVF. Landscape photographers and, of course, videographers seem to almost always be using the back panel LCD, and there the tilty-flippy screen of something like the A7R III is nice if not crucial. It is only a few that do portraits or travel photography that I've seen use the EVF.

If I buy another camera in the short term it will certainly be the 6D Mark II. I was an outspoken critic of this camera upon release.on this forum, but have warmed to it as my wife has used one and really likes hers.

1. Ergonomics to me are near perfect, I've been using the original 6D for 6 years now so it is programmed into my brain
    2. AF point reliability consistency vs 6D one cross type center point
    3. Flippy touch screen
    4. Moderate resolution gain
    5. It is likely the last of its kind

The low ISO DR is disappointing, but... the many good factors it brings to the table out weigh the bad. I typically shoot HDR when range is an issue and will blend that image with a conventionally edited image.

Dave

So, I really wonder about this. I am still of the mind that Canon will have at least one more generation of DSLRs. If rumors are true, then the 1DxIII is next. I have not yet tried the R system, but I am thinking there is a good chance my reaction is similar to yours. It has been with the M system. So, if there is enough of us to constitute a market, I think Canon is smart enough to serve that market. We may not seen many new EF lenses, but the system is really well populated. So, here is hoping for a 5DV and a 6DIII that are very solid updates. We'll see in 2020 to 2021.

Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-13-2019 at 12:11 PM.

I think the R is an awesome camera for people who really enjoy mirrorless and prefer Canon. I have no data to support this, but I suspect mirrorless may be very popular with millenials in particular who grew up in the era of everyone having cell phones.

Canon will produce whatever will sell. If the mirrorless revolution does not happen in the short term, then DSLRs will continue.

Dave

I am curious and seriously looking at an R for xmas this year. What if any type of experience do you have shooting kids sports with it? I have a 6D, 80D, 7D and have really be considering this purchase for a while. I don't want to spend the extra grand for a 5D IV. Tips, photos appreciated!