Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eos r

I don't think anyone on the site has the EOS R.

Dave

For me the EOS R is not the right compromise. When photography is incidental to the occasion I like the M5 with the 22mm pancake (or 50mm 1.8 with adapter). The rest of the time I prefer the 5D IV.

A point of ergonomics not too often mentioned is that the mass of the camera plus lens is helpful for eliminating effects fine tremor of the hands and fingers, at least until they fatigue.

I am very closely now following all the info that is coming out from the EOS Ra. I am not suprised if i have that some point next year to replace my 5div with it. Since i am mostly taking pictures nightime, this body is sooooo tempting.

If the rumors are correct, I am waiting for the uber high megapixel version and then I will be done w/ hardware for awhile.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

For those on the fence, I was in Hunt's Photo & Video today and they have the R and RP at the Canon rebated price of $1,799/$999 plus a $200/$100 gift card, respectively.

Well, refurb at $1229 in the Canon store had me. I'll let you know once the weather clears and I have a chance to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Well, refurb at $1229 in the Canon store had me. I'll let you know once the weather clears and I have a chance to use it.
    Ha! I am actually glad someone pulled the trigger on that sale.

From what I hear, the eye AF for family shots is really something. That has been my main temptation to take advantage of the sale, but checking out pictures from all the Christmas parties where I took candid shots, the 24-70 f/2.8 really did not miss much at all. I will say the few I took with the 85 f/1.4 (@f/1.6-2 usually), there was a higher miss rate there (of course). So, I'd be curious what your hit rate is with candid shots taken with shallow dof and primes.

Hey Jayson (or anyone else with the R).

Just checking in on impressions? Specifically about the EVF. It looks more and more like Canon is about to get very series with the R5/R6.

I am still getting used to it but I really like it. My general initial impressions (no tech talk)...I was initially not too fond of the EVF, but now that I have used it more, I actually prefer it to the OVF. I like that I see what I am taking a picture of exposure wise. I take many photos of my kids in all sorts of lighting. It's nice to see what I'm getting before I snap the photo. A lot of my photos are pretty much grab and go, not a lot of thinking involved in exposure...probably why I like it more. I tried it with all of my lenses except night shots with my Rokinon 14 and 24. That will come later this month. Ive used the 16-35mm F4, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 40mm pancake, 8mm fisheye (in cropped mode), 50mm 1.4 (old lens), 85 1.8, 100mm macro (old lens) 70-200 f4IS V1, 300mm f4 IS, 100-400mm V2, along with 1.4tc V2 and 2.0tc V2 with great results. I have been shooting a lot lately with the 2.0tc on the 100-400 and while focus is slowed a little, it still works really well at f11. This camera is also by far the most comfortable camera I have held. Only camera series I haven't held is a 1D, so take that for what you will.

There are a couple things that I have found irritating and probably just because I haven't read the manual or really a ton of time to shoot with the camera. When I start the camera, it immediately attempts to focus and it hunts for a long time. I have had to manually focus to get it close and it snaps on quickly, then holds pretty well. Probably user error, but still annoying until I figure it out. It starts the IS on all lenses that have it and will eat batteries like crazy due to this. It will run until you don't touch the camera for about 30 seconds. I am sure there is a way to shut that off, but I haven't gotten that far yet. When trying to photo moving subjects in servo, there is a brief delay in the EVF, not a blackout, but you loose your action. I just read that someone found how to shut this off, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll report back when I do. It doesn't work with an IR remote. I have used an IR remote for 5 years on all of my other cameras. Annoying that this doesn't support that. Lastly, you can't view any files outside of canon or adobe software on a Windows computer. I have an older windows 10 that I use Deep Sky Stacker on. I shot some photos of Orion to test out how it would stack and handle DSO, but DSS doesn't support CR3s yet. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

AF and Eye AF. I really like it. It took me a while to figure out the new AF system as I came from the simple 6D and primarily the middle point on the 80D due to using the 1.4TC on my 100-400 all the time. I followed kids playing basketball, jumping in a trampoline, the family shots and I'm estimating 90% keeper rate. Most of this was using the older 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8. Keeper rates with Eye AF were better using the 70-200 and the 100-400. That is is crazy good light and almost pitch black of night time outside. Now the problem is more keepers to throw away as the files do take up more space. If they give the firmware upgrade to the R with animal AF, this might be my last camera for a long time. I haven't shot any weddings or family sessions with it yet but from the videos I have watch, it is right on par with what I am seeing. Chasing animals, it holds pretty much to what I was used to with other lenses. I have used most of the focus modes, but prefer to use the tracking AF mode for this. The EVF delay does hinder tracking of birds a little, but something to get use to. The touch and drag of points on the back screen is very convenient and easy to use.

I really like the focus peaking aspect added to this camera. I put magic lantern on my M a while back and loved this feature. Now that I can use this on the R with my Rokinon Lenses, it is the bee's knees. I am waiting for life to start in the spring here so I can do some macro with it.

IQ, I come from an 80D and 6D shooter. I had the 7D but retired it to macro shooting only. I'd rather use this camera any day over those. The noise is great. Grain is much better and I have used ISO 12,800 on a couple shots that cleaned up really nicely in post. I find pulling the shadows to a reasonable amount is better than the 6D for landscape shots. I haven't seen any banding in the stuff I use it for, so take that for what you will. I haven't used or taken photos with the 5dVI, but would assume it is basically the same.

I really haven't taken my 6D or 80D out of the bag more than maybe once since I got this camera. Just some initial impressions. I'll write something better once spring comes around and I have a chance to really give it a run barring any complications from Corona. I'll add some photos later.
    Last edited by Jayson; 03-14-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks Jayson. Sounds like you are really enjoying it. I have heard the IQ is pretty similar to the 5DIV, which is excellent (IMO). But between you and a few other people, it sounds like the AF, and eye-AF are really something.