Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - Image of the Week #48

2018 - Image of the Week #48

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images to compete for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and, finally, in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Image of the Year."

• The Week 48 entry period will be from Monday, November 26th through/including Sunday, December 2nd.
    • Please supply a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, and any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.

Thanks and Good Luck!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-02-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Stefansdom near sunset

"Morning Snack" Peregrine Falcon, Alpine NJ

IMG_7264WM by gerard melillo, on Flickr

Mallard Drake on golden water

"Morning Snow"

6S0A0192 by kayaker72, on Flickr

"Common Murre"

Common Murre by Stephen, on Flickr

Stephen

Not sure everyone wants feedback, but here goes:

"Stefansdom near sunset" is a nice church shot. It could use a perspective correction, and some highlight recovery on the sky. The tiling on the roof and the window panes add some unique interest. Would have been fantastic to see a sunset reflected in there.

"Morning Snack" is a nice capture of nature at work. Perhaps could be used in a Nat. Geo magazine, but I don't think anyone will want that hanging on their walls.

"Mallard Drake on golden water" has a great background. The duck itself has a nice pose, and is framed well, but looks like it went through aggressive shadow recovery, oversharpening, or is heavily artifacted from a resize.

"Morning Snow" is a nice tranquil sunset image. Timing was key here for the sunset, and getting the snow while it still looked good both on the ground, and on the trees... I know that doesn't last long... but aside from the sunset background, there isn't a specific foreground or mid-ground focal point to draw me in.

"Common Murre" is a nice capture of a bird I've never seen (not so common around here!). It would have been nice to get a better sense of where the bird was, like in your flocks shot on Flickr. From this shot, it's not clear that it's wild, and not in an enclosure somewhere. Alternatively, when isolated to one bird on rock, I'd prefer a closer crop to see details of the bird.

I'm going to give this week to Joel's Mallard. While the most common bird of the bunch, the framing is great, and the background makes it pop.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Congratulations Joel!

Thanks for the feedback David, personally I always appreciate comments from others. Never thought about it, but you're right that it should have been cropped tighter on the bird. This actually wasn't cropped at all, and I was on a boat so couldn't get any closer. In retrospect I should have simply cropped tighter.

Stephen

Nice pick David and pic Joel!

Yeah....I agree about the foreground interest. Regarding the fleeting of light like that....that is literally the view from my front door. Saw the color, ran up and grabbed the tripod and camera, ran down, set up...fired off a few compositions moving around a bit...that was my favorite.

Thanks David .... appreciate it.

This particular bird had some grayish tips on some of it's feathers which gives it that sort of rough look. Maybe it's an old bird, not sure.

It was taken with a 5D MKIV at 400mm from close range so it didn't require any re-sizing.

It did require shadow recovery for sure and it's at iso 6400.

For sharpening I used Topaz Detail on the bird .... perhaps I was a bit heavy handed there but on my laptop (which is quite old) it looks decent.

Anyway...thanks again for choosing my image and for your critiques .... always helpful to have different eyes evaluate one's work.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 12-04-2018 at 02:13 PM.