Thread: New superteles

New superteles

So, flying in a bit under the radar, IMO, given they were announced at the same time as the EOS-R were the new 400 III and 600 III.

I just saw Bryan post some IQ results for the 400 III. It would be difficult to gain in IQ over the II version, but considering the III is 6.25 lbs, down from 8.5 lbs for the Mk II, appeal of the lens is pretty obvious. You have to account for some copy to copy variation, but the IQ of the 400 III looks good:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=0&APIComp=0

Maybe a touch more vignetting than the Mk II. But even stopped down to f/4, that is basically perfection on a 50 MP sensor.

I like to look at superteles with TCs on them as, 1) that is how they will be used, but 2) it is likely to accentuate any flaw.

1.4x TC:
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=1&APIComp=1

2x TC:
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=2&APIComp=2

At least in the copies Bryan tested, I would give the center by a little to the Mk II version but the corners to the Mk III by a good amount.

Tough to compare to the 400 III plus 1.4xTC to the 500 f/4 II as they were not tested on the same camera, but we can compare to the 600 f/4 II:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=0&APIComp=0

It is amazing how something can look very good, but then you compare it to something like the 600 f/4 II and the subtle issues become apparent.

Yet, I am sure there will be many amazing images taken with the 400 f/2.8 III and 1.4xTC combination.

Anyways, some quick fun.

What'd you decide to do for your supertele?

It's nice quite a supertele, but I ponied up for the 100-400 II and WOW! What a great lens.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    What'd you decide to do for your supertele?
    I ended up picking the 500 f/4 II after lots of debate and analysis.

https://community.the-digital-pictur...ead.php?t=8556

Of course, Canon had to do it to me...months after my purchase, they release the 400/600 IIIs.....but, I am good as I
    am loving the 500...…

6S0A8750 by kayaker72, on Flickr

6S0A6931 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Maybe a touch more vignetting than the Mk II. But even stopped down to f/4, that is basically perfection on a 50 MP sensor.

I like to look at superteles with TCs on them as, 1) that is how they will be used, but 2) it is likely to accentuate any flaw.
    Not too long ago we switched lighting systems for the test chart. We previously used Canon Speedlites set to TTL; now we use Flashpoint XPLOR 600PROs which are also set to TTL. We haven't completed enough tests with the new lights to be confident that they light the chart evenly each and every time. Therefore, the vignetting tests (to be published soon) will be a more precise indication of vignetting performance.

Other than weight and IS, the improvements from Version I to II was inconsequential. Two identical pictures with no shake most people would be hard pressed telling which was taken with which lens.

On the other end of the rig however, the difference between a 24mp body and the 5Ds R is very noticeable.

While the 6.71 lbs 600mm III with 5 stop IS would be help full, it would be a huge hit to the wallet to upgrade for a minuscule amount of improvement.
    I would expect the 500mm to be the same if they decide to release a III version.

For me I want to see where the R goes, and possibly see some of the "rumored" supertele's that will go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Not too long ago we switched lighting systems for the test chart. We previously used Canon Speedlites set to TTL; now we use Flashpoint XPLOR 600PROs which are also set to TTL. We haven't completed enough tests with the new lights to be confident that they light the chart evenly each and every time. Therefore, the vignetting tests (to be published soon) will be a more precise indication of vignetting performance.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at the vignetting charts when they come out. It will be interesting if the III doesn't have more vignetting than the II. Then it does get back to the new lighting system.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    On the other end of the rig however, the difference between a 24mp body and the 5Ds R is very noticeable.

While the 6.71 lbs 600mm III with 5 stop IS would be help full, it would be a huge hit to the wallet to upgrade for a minuscule amount of improvement.
    I would expect the 500mm to be the same if they decide to release a III version.

For me I want to see where the R goes, and possibly see some of the "rumored" supertele's that will go with it.
    What has caught my attention is, if you buy into the rumors...no new EF lenses in 2019. All RF. Which means, no update to the EF 300 II or EF 500 II.

2019 was my first full year with the 5DIV. I do like the resolution. But I absolutely saw the impact in another area, my memory cards definitely filled up faster with the IV compared to the 5D III and I am looking at almost 500 GB of images on my hard drive for 2019 whereas previous years were much less (200-300 GB). I did take a few more images than usual, but I thought I was also culling them more....

It would be interesting to see if the 200-400 1.4 TC lens gets an upgrade too. On my recent trip a guy had the Nikon 180-400 1.4 TC and it is crazy light. Super easy for hand holding and catching BIFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Looks like the III indeed has slightly more vignetting than the II.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...9&LensComp=741

Granted, 0.2 to 0.3 in the corners is pretty inconsequential.