Thread: Memory Card Readers - USB 2 vs 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    USB 2 and 3 is a big difference.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    USB 2 and 3 is a big difference.

Dave
    Definitely. Thinking about this a bit more, about a year ago I rearranged a few things and I bet that is when I connected the card reader to the USB 2 port.

But, looking at my system, this is the first time my 2011 home built computer is beginning to show its age. I have two USB 3 ports on the back. One is to my backup HD and the other is now for my card reader. However, I am buying an 1 TB external SSD that I may start using to edit my photos (my internal SSD is only 256 GB and I use it for programs and work off of HD drives for photo editing). That will require a 3rd USB 3 port.

For me, the quick fix may be getting a series of card reader/USB 3 ports that connect directly to one of my internal SATA ports or a USB hub splitter. Of course, I could also get a new internal SDD, but I like the idea of being able to edit some while traveling.

But, getting back to cards and card readers, one of my other takeaways is that my earlier version of the Transcend card reader, I was getting 130 MB/sec transfer speed with my CF card, where Fstoppers was getting 80 MB/sec for the Sandisk SD and ~90 MB/sec for the Prograde. So, a nice slight advantage of CF cards.

Granted, once they lined everything up with the Card reader, ports, and high end Prograde SD card, they were getting 250 MB/sec. So, for those that need it, you can get your system streamlined with SD cards.