Thread: Memory Card Readers - USB 2 vs 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't know if you get a lot of benefit from photos being on SSD. There's a huge improvement for the photo software start up time though.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I don't know if you get a lot of benefit from photos being on SSD. There's a huge improvement for the photo software start up time though.

Dave
    You are correct.

Just ran some tests. What I would really like is to cut down on the time that I cull images. Right now going through pictures looking zoomed in at 100% I've considered to be "slow." In my tests, working off the HD drive I averaged 5.3 seconds per image for the image to become sharp. Working off the SSD, that number was 4.5 seconds. This was based on timing 4 sets of 10 images.

Then, I tested how long it took to export 5 images (this is less of a concern to me, so I just ran one test). 5.2 secs on the USB 3 external SSD and 5.9 secs/image on the internal HD drive.

So, I'd be interested if anyone has found a faster way to cull images. For now, I think I'll relegate the external SSD to a travel backup and switch back to working off the internal HD.