Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginning of End for EF mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    AF is faster and it tracks moving subjects better
    3. no blackout shooting at high frame rates (up to 20 frames per sec)
    Hi Joel,

I haven't come across this information. Do you know of some instances where people compared AF of the A9 against, say, a 1DX or D5? The general impressions I've heard is that the DSLRs were still faster, but these were from "youtubers" more that professional wildlife photographers. While this may not be the best example, the first youtube video I saw that opened my eyes to the A9 being up there with the others was by Michael the Maven:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xo9qKPVhEk

From ~6 min to ~8::30 min, there are his "sports" tests. Take them for what you will, but the A9 % accuracy is lower, but due to the high burst, there were more keepers.

As for the shutter, my understanding is the there is no "blackout" but rather as the shutter is actuating that it holds a frozen frame, which can have a similar effect.

Another thing to consider, if comparing the A9 to these other cameras, but something is up with Sony's file size. It is almost DOUBLE that of Nikon/Canon:
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sony-a9.aspx

Bryan's test about 1/3 down the page.

I've read what would be considered anecdotal reports rather than scientific tests from A9 users on other forums such as BirdPhotographers.net or Naturescapes.net that the A9 initial focus acquisition and tracking are superior to Canon and Nikon. Also I follow Arthur Morris' blog where he has stated similar experiences having recently purchased an A9. I have no idea about file size but in the forums I follow the A9 users do state the IQ is not quite as good as the Nikon D850.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 02-17-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks Joel. I'll check those out. It is always interesting to see what others are using. My general take is that Canon/Nikon/Sony each now have legitimate systems and there is some investigation going on as to each systems performance by some people really into gear. Not saying one system might have a distinct advantage, but more saying I have seen great pictures come out of each system.

And this has nothing to do with mirrorless, or RF/EF/etc (sorry Dave), but speaking of Art Morris, there was that big deal made when he moved from Canon to Nikon. Art largely was following Ari Hazeghi. I have to admit, that D850 with the 500 f/5.6 PF VR seems like a great BIF set up.....