Thread: Maybe the RP is being compared to the wrong body

Maybe the RP is being compared to the wrong body

This enthusiast is thinking that it just might replace mu aging 5d3

Thoughts?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Why not the R. Seems like it would be more of an upgrade.

I have a trip planned and was thinking about trying the R.
    In fact I had it in the basket a few days ago, then went and read the reviews on B&H.
    It has a high number of negatives (by percentage) compared to the DSLR bodies.
    Granted some are probably users that bought with the wrong expectation of how it work. But not all.

There is around 11% of the reviews two stars or below with the R. With the 5D IV and 5Ds R that ratio is under 2%.

I haven't decided not to get it yet. But am leaning toward no.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    This enthusiast is thinking that it just might replace mu aging 5d3

Thoughts?
    I think that is interesting. Of course, with any camera, it depends on what you are trying to shoot. I know you have talked about how birds are almost a matter of convenience, but, still, pretty amazing for where you live. Other than that, family and travel seem to be what you like to shoot.

With the RP, you would have fewer fps and MUCH less battery life.

For travel, the size/weight of the RP has to be appealing (if it wasn't for lens size, I'd consider it as a replacement for my M3/small kit). You can always travel with 2-3 batteries. But you would need to pair with some smaller lenses (EF 24-70 f/4, RF 35 f/1.8, etc).

For family, the AF point coverage of ~80% of your screen area would be great.

Looking at DXOMark, the measured sensor performance of the 6DII (assuming the RP is similar) and 5DIII are nearly identical, so sensor tech is a push.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___1170_795

You go from not having 4k video to 4k video. No DPAF in liveview to DPAF for everything.

The low light AF is MUCH better on the RP vs the 5DIII.

Overall, my take on it would be if you want size/weight then the RP makes sense. If you want an "upgrade" really, the R would be more of an "upgrade" (sensor tech, etc).

What would probably interest me more is not having the RP replace the 5DIII, but augment it. Keep both and use the 5DIII when you want fps/battery life/and jury is out on AF speed and then use the RP for when you want size/weight, AF pt spread, low light AF, 4k video, etc.

As I know you really enjoyed the 5DS(R) the time you rented it, the question gets to be should you wait a year and get the high MP version of the EOS R, or pick up the RP now? The RP will likely always have the size advantage, so maybe you could have both in your future. The high MP EOS R will likely be equivalent or an upgrade to the 5DIII in everyway but maybe battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

You go from not having 4k video to 4k video. No DPAF in liveview to DPAF for everything.
    Not quite; you don't get the benefits of DPAF with 4K recording.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking the RP could be a great special use camera, specifically for portraiture. With its Eye AF tracking, it should provide more consistently in-focus portraits (regardless of the subject's position in the frame) compared to traditional DSLRs, something that could really come in handy when paired with a wide aperture prime lens (plus adapter, of course).

For the individual charging $$ for time w/ a body, I would expect to see The R vs. RP on a shoot, etc. I am not that, I don't charge no money to no one .

My 5d3 is getting pretty beat up, and there are several hot spots on the sensor - one of them is almost dead center so really inconvenient. I am not looking to upgrade per se, rather replace. Throw in a couple of extra batteries, the adapter and off I go.

If I would upgrade, waiting for the "pro" version would be the path I would take, unless it was just a higher FPS of the R - I have a 1dx for the high frame rate stuff (left over from a plan that went sideways for Yellowstone for an early may - wolves/bears on winter kill effort) . I really enjoyed my rental the 5Dsr and would buy up for an uber megapixel landscape version of the R.

the 4k would be an interesting idea for the replacement of FPS for BIFs etc. It was pointed out that the 4k crop is virtually identical to the APC crop so all of a sudden all the EFS glass gets interesting (my daughter still has the 17-55).

I know I THOUGHT I would do some video when I reentered photo but in reality I simply don't - this might force me to vid the BIFs .

At some point their is a plateau that comes into my enthusiast equation. I have glass from 16mm to 600 (though I still would love some better long end... it is that plateau things in play again....) the IQ of the 5d3 is more than adequate, what ever limits it has is not what is limiting my shooting.

The RP is a ton of IQ and capability for not a lot of $$ -
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

For any Canadians out there, Henry's, Vistek, and TheCameraStore all have the same deal. CAD$1699 (just under the converted US price), and they'll throw in the EF mount adapter (not the one with the control ring though), and a spare battery.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

If you are just looking for a replacement, and why not, the 5DIII is a great camera, then yeah, the RP could be a very nice replacement. You gain size/weight/AF point distribution/transitioning to RF and you give up fps/battery life all while your IQ stays about the same.

Hey Mike...there are reviews out there. This is a bit more hands on, if interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUroWz_K0T0