Thread: Drones

Drones

Is anyone here using drones? How hard is the handling? How often do you find yourself using one?

For video, the IQ seems good, but d
    o you like the IQ for stills? Seems like a nice tool for a different perspective, but I am not sure how much I would use one.

My DJI Phantom 3 Advanced is a bit disappointing from a photography perspective, but that's primarily because I'm used to high-quality DSLR imagery (as you are). Newer drones are, of course, better, but you can still expect a pretty significant gap in quality when viewing large on your computer's display. For social media and small-resolution prints, the quality's fine. For other needs, the resolution/quality may leave you wanting.

Flying a drone is pretty easy to get the hang of. You can be up in the air and flying it reasonably well in no time. Doing complicated maneuvers manually can be challenging (like circling around a subject or tracking a subject in a cinematic way), but drones like the Mavic series make those types of maneuvers pretty easy. If you're interested, I highly suggest getting one. They can be a lot of fun, regardless of the actual quality of the imagery.

Thanks Sean. It is pretty tempting after seeing what alot of people are doing with drones on youtube. Getting one is something I kick around from time to time. I was thinking about it for Iceland, but have decided to not try something "new" on a trip and to focus more on going and enjoying myself.

I can see pictures on the Palouse later this year also being fun from a vertical perspective. Anything with patterns in the land. We'll see.

Old drone

I have never tried using a drone.

This shot was 5 years ago, when a some people used a large drone that carried a DSLR. Obviously that took care the image quality issue.

Does anyone know whether such drones still exist? Or have the drones with integrated cameras completely taken over?

Cranbrook drone by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr

Danny

Yep. Still exist. Truly “professional” drones are really impressive.

"only" $17,500 at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242089-REG/freefly_950_00049_alta_8_professional_drone.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.

I guess the price explains why the skies are not full of "professional" drones!

Ha....yeah....I do see a lot of 1Dx and 600 II combinations out there. That is about the same price. But I suspect the cost, the handling being at another level, and potential regulations are all keeping some enthusiasts away from that level of drone.

But, it also would not surprise me if I occasionally see one.

I almost bought a mavic air, but wasn't going to really get to use it until mid spring. I bought a star tracker instead. Look at the Mavic pro 2 if your interested. I have a couple friends here with that and they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I bought a star tracker instead.
    What star tracker did you get?