Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Aurora Lens - Iceland Trip

I finally got around to scrolling through these --- great shots! I also appreciate the stories that went with them. Landscape photography is all about adapting to the circumstances, and you obviously did that very well.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Great pictures Brant! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you got some great shots despite (or in some cases because of) the weather. What really strikes me about these is the lack of any real accumulated snow. I know their winters are typically milder than most would anticipate given their northern latitude, but I still would have expected more snow to be on the ground. Interesting.
    Thanks Stephen!

So, the snow was weird. You could be in a near blizzard...have very little visibility…. but, then next to no accumulation and the sun is shinning.

But, overall, I think this is mostly about how close you are to sea level, which tends to really moderate things. What surprised me was that there were "mini" mountain passes even along the ring road. Gain even 500 ft in elevation and these passes could be ugly; more wind, more snow. Coming back from Kirkjufelfoss on the Snaefellsnes peninsula along Rt 56 was crazy. High winds and white out for stretches of road..rest of the drive was fine. Same right by Vik, but throw in 12% road grade.

But, checking the average weather, at Reykjavik, even in January the temps average 31 to 39 F (-1 to 4 C). So, at sea level, things are going to melt. Gain some elevation and you quickly see more accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I finally got around to scrolling through these --- great shots! I also appreciate the stories that went with them. Landscape photography is all about adapting to the circumstances, and you obviously did that very well.
    Thanks Jonathan. What's your quote, you could drop your camera and take a good picture .

Thank you very much for the photo and the report, very cool passed all the power of nature!