Thread: Sigma 40 Art

Sigma 40 Art

This lens looks incredible. Bryan's image crops are outstanding and Roger @ Lensrentals https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ma-art-lenses/ tests is outstanding also. Both show the 40 Art outresolves Sigma 35, 50 art lenses by a wide margin. The Lensrentals blog also shows it resolves better than the 55 Otus.

The only cons I've read on the interwebs are about size and focus shift. How much the focus shift issue effects day to day photography at f/2, f/2.8 I'm not sure.

Anyone else interested in this lens? I've been wanting a faster aperture wide option, but I think this thing might ruin the 24-105L for me :-)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 03-10-2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: mistyped

I'd be interested if I didn't already own the 50 Art. I've seen exactly what you describe. By all accounts, this is an amazingly sharp lens, among the sharpest out there.

I have had very good luck with my Sigmas. There are those that complain about focus. If you get it, do buy the docking station and take the time to calibrate the focus at different distances. This was not so much a problem on my 50A and is not a problem on my 150-600S, but my 35A (since sold) had this mid range (~10 ft) where it struggled until I did the calibration with the docking station.

But, with all seriousness. Go for it. Sigma is doing some great work with lenses. My next most coveted lenses are both Sigmas, the 14A (which I am renting for the second time) and the 135A.

It does look awesome, but it's hard to part with the cash. I need to develop a better plan. Part of the issue is there's not much to photograph in the midwestern USA winter so I haven't been out in a while.

Dave

Sure. Think about your kit construction. What you want it to accomplish? What you shoot? What are you missing?

From my standpoint, you seem to be creating a casual zoom kit (24-105, 100-400 II) that will work for most of your photography and augmenting that with a few fast primes for specialty purposes.

Or, from what you've said, I could see you pivoting to a basic "faster" kit. One of my favorite forum member kits for its simplicity was Rokinon 14 mm f/2.8, Canon EF 35 f/1.4, and Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 II.

As you like eagle shots, you'd also need something longer, such as your 100-400 II. But that above kit can take a lot of amazing pictures.

Lots of options. Lots of ways to construct a kit. And while I really do love that basic kit, I have gone my own direction.