Thread: RF 85 f/1.2....DS???

RF 85 f/1.2....DS???

First off, Bryan posted the MTF chart for the RF 85 f/1.2 versus the EF 85 F1.2L II.

Now, Canon has modified they MTF charts and the EF 85 f1.2L II chart is different from the old chart that is still on Canon USA's website. So, still not sure what is going on there.

But, sometimes, I like to keep it simple...higher is better with MTF charts. And there is a lot of "higher" in the new RF 85 F1.2L. That is going to be a sharp lens.

Then Bryan or Sean had a news post that linked to this article on the RF 85 vs the RF 85 DS. Less light transmission only at wider apertures and look at that bokeh. I wonder if it is some sort of grid that minimize light coming from wider angles?

Very cool tech, it is nice to see some good gear coming out.

Of course, this made me think of when I might transition to the R system and if I would want the RF 85 DS. But that has already passed with the rapid conclusion of I am not transitioning anytime soon and I would want the DS, but I probably do not shoot enough portraits to justify its likely price tag.

Nice to see the "R" ecosystem is being populated with some great glass.

The newer lens designs with computer aid are generally a lot higher resolution than the old school lenses. The newer ones are almost always better except in odd cases like the 24-105 II vs 24-105.

Dave

Very true, which is good for us.

I also saw the price tag float by, $2,699.

And suddenly I wonder if that lens will ever be in my kit...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Now, Canon has modified they MTF charts and the EF 85 f1.2L II chart is different from the old chart that is still on Canon USA's website. So, still not sure what is going on there.
    The answer to that is in the comments on the post. Canon has been redoing some of their older MTF charts in accordance with new testing procedures. Comparing against the newly updated EF 85L II chart gives an apples-to-apples comparison.

You can view the new MTF charts on the Canon Japan website.

https://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/stan...2lii/spec.html

The hardest part is learning to read Japanese but I seem to have over come that with the help of google.

It makes sense they would do this. The big withes were showing results that had little room to improve on. Canon's solution was to make older products look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Very true, which is good for us.

I also saw the price tag float by, $2,699.

And suddenly I wonder if that lens will ever be in my kit...
    Very spendy. Bring on the budget ones :-)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Very spendy. Bring on the budget ones :-)

Dave
    I'm curious to see the more affordable lenses coming for the RF system after all the monsters already planned are made available. A few good options in the same range as the RF 35mm would be necessary for me to be interested in an EOS R camera. Right now, I do really like my new M50 and when I look at the price, the M 32mm f/1.4 is far more attractive than any current RF lens, despite the awesome MTF charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    I'm curious to see the more affordable lenses coming for the RF system after all the monsters already planned are made available. A few good options in the same range as the RF 35mm would be necessary for me to be interested in an EOS R camera. Right now, I do really like my new M50 and when I look at the price, the M 32mm f/1.4 is far more attractive than any current RF lens, despite the awesome MTF charts.
    If you're a hobbyist its a matter of how much money you want to put into it. Big bucks for the 85? If you have can afford it and want it go for it, but if I'm spending a lot of money for a lens it will be something like the 100-400 II (my most expensive lens) that brings much better image quality than other available options.

Dave