Thread: Padding in camera bag or backpack

Padding in camera bag or backpack

The background here is that I am replacing my "small/hiking" camera backpack. I have been using a Lowepro Flipside 400AW that I bought used off Ebay ~7 years ago. But it has become less comfortable over time, the sternum strap disappeared years ago and the third party strap I added is only ok (I should really sew it in place), the pulls on the zippers have failed/been repaired a couple of times now, it is generally looking frayed plus, as my kit has evolved, a large number of my lenses do not fit as very well, especially vertically.

So, after being pleased with the Mindshift Firstlight 40L that I bought as my "large" pack and several reviews, yesterday, I received the Mindshift Backlight 18L. Overall, nice bag. But I am having trouble getting over how thin the padding is. Looking at the product photos more closely, part of the problem is that it may be intended for small dslrs and mirrorless bodies, as that is what is shown in the pics. I am trying to load up my 5DIV with L-bracket. The edges are rigid, which I like and can see providing a level of protection. I can measure the internal dividers and they seem to be just shy of 1/4" thick, which is meh, but ok. But, the sidewalls/exterior seems to be about as thick. While I can not measure without ripping the bag apart or finding a caliper, I would say the sidewalls are also 1/4", maybe 3/8" thick. I would say they are very similar to my Think Tank mirrorless mover 25 or Think Tank digital holster in terms of thickness and noticeably less than my other three camera backpacks (Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Gura gear Kiboko 22L and the Mindshift Firstlight 40L). It is noticeable enough that my wife even commented that it didn't "look like much protection" as I was loading up my gear last night.

Of course, Mindshift is related to Think Tank. I believe they were started by the some of the same people and within the last year, it also seems that Mindshift has been moved from being independent (if it ever was) to a full on subsidiary to Think Tank.

So, any of you have experience with thin walled (~1/4" to 3/8") Think Tank bags or packs working fine for larger dslrs? Any general thoughts on camera bag padding thickness?

I've used a Think Tank back pack for several years that is not very thick .... it has those removable dividers with velcro. No equipment damage but I always took it as a carry-on....I would not trust it as a check-in bag. Also I bought those small lens coat neoprene bags for my camera bodies and small lenses. I had no problems at all and still use the same system except now I sold my 500 and acquired a 600 it will not fit so when I travel with it I will need a new solution. I have a friend who uses a carry on size Pelican case which holds a 600 (without the hood), a 100-400 and a 1DX body .... I probably will go with that plus a shoulder bag for an additional body, one or two smaller lenses and my laptop. That way I should be able to carry-on both but if forced I could check in the Pelican case and not be too worried.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-31-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Joel. I’ll look up the lens coats.

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen pictures of the 600 fitting in the mindshift 40L. Also as I was debating between the 500 v 600, John (Neuro) mentioned that he can fit his 600 into the pelican luggage carryon. I am pretty sure that was with good, but you might want to check the measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk