Thread: Camera Backpack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, I was thinking this was going to be simple. Back in May, I decided that I was going to replace my Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It was a bit too close in size to my Gura Gear Kiboko 22L, which I very much preferred, but I still appreciated having a slightly smaller and lighter bag. Then, I went on vacation to Italy in June with the 22L, and it did well, but I really was missing space that was not dedicated to photography, ie not a solid padded cube. This got me thinking and, as I do travel a lot, I have twice been caught missing a connection and had to spend the night in the layover city with no fresh clothes but plenty of camera gear. So, a travel backpack where I could fit a change of clothes some other stuff, and my camera gear has become my main priority, with a secondary priority being a good hiking pack, and third priority being having something small I could take a basic kit to family functions, etc.

I write this, in part, as I am still working through all of it. But this seems to be the direction I've trended. What interested me, perhaps as a mirage or delusion, is that it seems that one bag "system" that included the "interchangeable camera units" (Fstop ICUs) or equivalent could do all of these things. I am pretty sure Fstop was the first with this concept, that you had a unit that could be added to a backpack and that these units could be interchanged. But now, there are many groups doing this including Shimoda, Peak Design and then to a more limited extent, PacSafe, Mindshift, Lowepro, Boundary Design, Wandrd, etc, etc.

But, this did get complex, as there doesn't seem to be the "perfect" bag for me. First, a lot of the market is dedicated to "EDCs" or everyday carry. But they call them EDCs, because, you know, having your own lingo is cool? But then you get into larger bags more aimed at photography that go beyond a standard solid padded cube with straps and the issue seems to be that there are two current target markets, "urban" and "adventure" with maybe "travel" being a supplied third market. Anyway, there are several that are close to being what I am after, so I am going to try to pick one this weekend.

Since this wasn't simple and did blow up a bit, I decided to see what are "pros" using, and it really runs the gamut, but I thought I'd take a look at Canon wildlife/landscape EoLs and others.
    First, the Explorers of Light:

• Art Wolfe references the Tamrac Anvil 27. Not one I've looked at, but it falls into the "big padded cube" territory that I think I have covered already
    • Charles Glatzer is an EoL and an "Fstop Icon." It seems he uses the larger Fstop Sukha.
    • Darrel Gulin reference Lowepro on his website. That is as far as I took that.
    • Rick Sammon references Thinktank and Mindshift and the pics on his page include an early Mindshift Rotation bag.
    • Ken Sklute is another Fstop Icon. His page indicates he uses the massive Shinn and midsized Tilopa.
    • Onne van der Wal. Nothing definitive (and I really am trying to just "browse" here)…but one reference to him and Think tank
    • Jennifer Wu. Think tank and Fstop (Tilopa).

Richard Bernabe isn't an EoL (at least not that I am aware) but seems to be a higher end pro regardless. He also has a nice "gear" page on his website and just switched over to the Mindshift Backlight 45 Elite.

As I've been watching youtube more, there are some professional photographers I am following, but then others just came up as I looked for bag reviews. But, here is a smattering, but again, this rabbit hole will go as deep as you would like, I am backing off:
    • Thomas Heaton: Fstop Tilopa. Formerly Lowepro user and then he also puts camera cubes in legit packs, like Osprey.
    • Nick Page: Shimoda 40L. Moved to Shimoda from Fstop Anja and Mindshift Rotation 180. Lots of love for the bag. Comfort seems key. Also recently reviewed the Atlas Adventure, did not like the comfort.
    • Adam Gibbs just switched to the Shimoda 40L. He was using the Mammut Trion pro. So, he was putting and fstop ICU inside a hiking specific pack, but switched to Shimoda for "comfort" (~13 minutes).
    • Brendon Van Son. Trying out seems to be moving to Shimoda 40L (see a trend).
    • Elia Locardi doesn't have a specific review, but in his videos seems to be sporting a larger Mindshift Backlight. I suspect the 26L, but it might be the 36L.
    • Andy Mumford. Another camera ICU inside a non-camera backpack, this time a snowboarding pack by Deuter (Freerider Pro 30).
    • Mark Denney. I am not sure if Mark is "professional photographer" or more of a youtuber travel photographer, I think the later. But he did a very nice review where Shimoda 40L and Atlas Athlete came out well above the Fstop Anja, but said all three are very good. His gearlist says he's using both the Atlas and Shimoda, but I checked out a subsequent video and he was using the Shimoda.
    • Gregg Snell. Pacsafe Venturesafe x40. This looks like a sponsorship, but still, making it work and it does look like a nice pack. My primary issue is 200 denier nylon.
    • "The Snapchick". Again, more of a youtuber? Not sure, but I found this glowing review of the Atlas Athlete.
    • Then I found this guy that seems to review backpacks...a lot. Seems to be more of a traveler that brings a camera. Thinks highly of a lot of bags, but in the end he was using the Peak Design 45L.
    • Then this guy is apparently a teacher in Connecticut, but has a youtube channel called "Crossover Daypack Reviews." Anyway, he recently went with the Peak Design 45L over a lot of other packs.
    • For another channel that does nothing but review backpacks: there is pack hacker, who also have a website where they have a more numerical scale to rate bags. Their top rated (or near top): Peak Design 45L.

As I said, with youtube, I think you could keep going.

Another website that is dedicated to rating bags is Carryology, which also has awards that people seem really proud of. 2019 Camera backpack of the year? Mindshift backlight 26L. But they also have an article on the Peak Design 45L, saying it should be your next bag. And have "best camera bag" rankings. Some good information, but a little all over the place.

But, I've reached saturation and actually would like to process some photos. So, if anyone else is looking for a similar type of bag, hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-26-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Morning Brant;
    Glad to see you've reached the saturation point. It's quite the rabbit hole, researching for a new equipment backpack.
    I went through this same dilemma a couple of years ago. I finally stepped away and simply wrote down what I wanted/needed in a day backpack. ICU was a high priority.
    I didn't have as many choices as there are today, so it was a bit simpler. I purchased the F-Stop Ajna 40L with the Essential ICU. It carries all my wildlife/landscape equipment safely; 2 bodies (1DXMKII & 5DMKIII), 3 lenses (100-400, 70-200, 24-105) and if I need a 4th lens (e.g. 16-35 2.8) there is sufficient room.
    There is still sufficient room for additional needs; H2O, snacks, etc.
    Also I find it quite comfortable.
    Good luck Brant.
    Regards
    Bill
    Last edited by BillW; 07-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.