Thread: Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Below is a link to a photo I took at the Grand Canyon. My wife and I did a day hike to Plateau Point on the Bright Angel Trail, and on our way back up a storm rolled into the canyon and then across to the northern rim and that is when this picture was taken. It is a multi shot panoramic image. Hopefully the link works.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...DVI249hbkiakNx

Looking for what I could do differently next time to improve on composition and overall image quality.

-Joel

The link requires a Google account.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    The link requires a Google account.
    Thanks Joel for letting me know, I created a flickr account and learned something new tonight.

grandcanyonrainbowcopy by Joel Bookhammer, on Flickr

Very nice image!

Lovely just as is, these suggestions are necessarily an improvement, simply my taste. Since you asked for suggestions , here goes.

I would crop about 10% off the right side.

I would also mildly reduce the magenta tone. I do calibrate my monitor, including recently. On my screen the magenta tone of the distant features and the bottom edge of the rainbow seems beyond natural.

I know many other members also use calibrated screens, so if this is a quirk of my monitor, then forget the second comment.

Super shot, Joel. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps you could brighten up the shadow area on the left side a little bit. There's some interesting detail in there which could possibly be brought out a bit. As for cropping, I'm not sure I would take away 10% from the right side but I think I'd rather add 10% to the left side! It's all personal taste... everyone has a different view! Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    Lovely just as is, these suggestions are necessarily an improvement, simply my taste. Since you asked for suggestions , here goes.

I would crop about 10% off the right side.

I would also mildly reduce the magenta tone. I do calibrate my monitor, including recently. On my screen the magenta tone of the distant features and the bottom edge of the rainbow seems beyond natural.

I know many other members also use calibrated screens, so if this is a quirk of my monitor, then forget the second comment.
    I agree that the magenta tone needed reduced, I noticed that right after posting the image. My screens aren't calibrated but they all (4 of them) show the over saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Super shot, Joel. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps you could brighten up the shadow area on the left side a little bit. There's some interesting detail in there which could possibly be brought out a bit. As for cropping, I'm not sure I would take away 10% from the right side but I think I'd rather add 10% to the left side! It's all personal taste... everyone has a different view! Thanks for sharing this.
    I will try brightening up the shadow area to see what might be hiding in there. I had kept that "10%" on the right side because it includes the trail we were hiking on.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!