It's funny Dave. When I saw your different posts lately and the fact that your wife had a 6D2 I was going to tell you to do exactly what you ended up doing. I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you.
My situation is not that different from yours. I bought a 6D late 2012 and still use it today. When the 6D2 came out I wasn't interested, but now it can be such a bargain that I still think about buying it from time to time. Had the RP used the same batteries as my 6D, I would maybe think about buying one too. A few months ago, I bought a M50 and I have to say it's a lot of fun to use. It made me think about selling a few of my full frame lenses. While its small form factor is a big advantage in some situations, I still like to use a bigger camera sometimes, and I think I'll probably upgrade my 6D when something interesting comes out. Or maybe I'll go the other way and buy a better M series camera when/if it is released and ditch my full frame kit. Well, the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm in no rush, as what I have is more than enough. It's really easy to get caught up in internet discussions and start thinking that switching cameras will completely change your pictures, but for what I do, the 6D has always been a wonderful camera.
Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your experience with the 6D2. Have fun !