Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Canon Gear - Declining Interest for You?

It's funny Dave. When I saw your different posts lately and the fact that your wife had a 6D2 I was going to tell you to do exactly what you ended up doing. I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you.
    My situation is not that different from yours. I bought a 6D late 2012 and still use it today. When the 6D2 came out I wasn't interested, but now it can be such a bargain that I still think about buying it from time to time. Had the RP used the same batteries as my 6D, I would maybe think about buying one too. A few months ago, I bought a M50 and I have to say it's a lot of fun to use. It made me think about selling a few of my full frame lenses. While its small form factor is a big advantage in some situations, I still like to use a bigger camera sometimes, and I think I'll probably upgrade my 6D when something interesting comes out. Or maybe I'll go the other way and buy a better M series camera when/if it is released and ditch my full frame kit. Well, the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm in no rush, as what I have is more than enough. It's really easy to get caught up in internet discussions and start thinking that switching cameras will completely change your pictures, but for what I do, the 6D has always been a wonderful camera.
    Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your experience with the 6D2. Have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I took the wife's 6D2 for a spin and found what I thought were some pretty substantial improvements. The autofocus performance improvement is truly night and day. The original 6D autofocus is mediocre when using anything except the center point, but this one is very accurate using all points. The focus points also cover more of the image than I initially gave it credit for. Add to this 6 more MP, the flippy touch screen, and reasonable price point and I'm sold.

I bought a 6D2 today and put it through the initial paces at Windpoint Lighthouse in Racine, WI. I really like the user experience with this camera. I haven't looked at the images on the computer yet.

Dave
    Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    It's funny Dave. When I saw your different posts lately and the fact that your wife had a 6D2 I was going to tell you to do exactly what you ended up doing. I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you.
    My situation is not that different from yours. I bought a 6D late 2012 and still use it today. When the 6D2 came out I wasn't interested, but now it can be such a bargain that I still think about buying it from time to time. Had the RP used the same batteries as my 6D, I would maybe think about buying one too. A few months ago, I bought a M50 and I have to say it's a lot of fun to use. It made me think about selling a few of my full frame lenses. While its small form factor is a big advantage in some situations, I still like to use a bigger camera sometimes, and I think I'll probably upgrade my 6D when something interesting comes out. Or maybe I'll go the other way and buy a better M series camera when/if it is released and ditch my full frame kit. Well, the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm in no rush, as what I have is more than enough. It's really easy to get caught up in internet discussions and start thinking that switching cameras will completely change your pictures, but for what I do, the 6D has always been a wonderful camera.
    Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your experience with the 6D2. Have fun !
    Thanks Pierre. Your work is fantastic, the 6D is getting the job done!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Congrats!!!
    Thanks, appreciated!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Thanks Pierre. Your work is fantastic, the 6D is getting the job done!

Dave
    Thanks, you're too kind.

With 6d2 i feel really complete and covered in each situation i usually shoot.

My improvements in term of equipment could go maybe on something more longer than the 100-400, but i'm not this much in wildlife to make such an investment (except for some extender which i dont like too much)
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Like the song says... "I have been holding on...." Hoping for the "pro" mirrorless body - almost pulled the trigger on the R, then others pointed out it isn't a step from the 5Div, which today's rumor is that it will be a MP monster. It will need to have lots-o-stabilization to get benefit of the new lenses, so I am waiting and hoping, and waiting and hoping....

I will absolutely be donating my two bodies (might IR the 5dIII) and have a single body set up.

The imagining envelope is so large that I doubt I would get another body after my next purchase ... ever... unless something really mind blowing comes out.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The high MP rumor is so consistent, I think the only question is how many MP and how many fps. But, there have been other rumors of "pro" R series bodies that appear credible, apparently there is also a "sports" R coming.

Which makes sense. And really, that would be a nice lineup:
    • True "flagship" I imagine that this will occur, but likely the last to be released
    • High MP R
    • "R" will be renamed eventually and fit the 5D line
    • "Sports" R. This could maybe be the flagship. We'll see.
    • RP. Entry level.

There was also a rumor at a FF R at a lower price point than the RP. We'll see.

BTW. I was thinking about it and I am very interested in seeing the new RF UWA lenses. I've always wanted to do more nightscapes, but I just do not find New England particularly conducive to that type of photography. But, I could see an "ultimate" astro/nightscape lens being an enticement to many. Right now, I am not sure it is out there.

Saw an article that the Pro R would be 80 mp which is 5x the 1Dx1. Talk about a crop zoom!!
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

As for me, I've considered getting an EOS R (or RP) camera simply to have the facial recognition/eye AF. However, I have yet to make that investment. Instead, I recently purchased a used 7D and am having it converted to a UV camera. I've been considering a UV conversion for quite some time, and finally decided to pull the trigger. I like the idea of capturing images in a totally different spectrum than what normal cameras can capture, to see what few others can (or will) see. I enjoy using my IR camera, and I'm sure I'll have fun with the UV one as well.