Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
First, off, that is a very nice and capable kit. As always, shoot to need, and if you aren't needing something....

I totally get where you are coming from. A
s I am sure is obvious, I think and consider a lot of different options. From different lenses to small camera systems to medium format.
But, the conclusion I am coming too is that I may be "mostly" () set for the foreseeable future and it is a very odd place to be.

Cameras: 5DIV. Really, just love it. It is a tad big, especially with the L-bracket mounted, but still, it is not leaving my kit for a long time. I have been thinking of getting a second FF body. The thought I had, was to get the EOS-R or some other newly released body, but that seems to be waning. At this point, I am as likely to pick up a second 5DIV or rent as needed. BTW, I got mine on a refurbished sale for $2,300 in 2017..if interested, keep your eyes open.

As I am shooting a M3 for my EOS M kit, I could see being tempted by a new M body, but that system has seen little use since I picked up the G7X II, which is admittedly inferior in terms of IQ, but "good enough" and the size/weight/ability to charge from USB is great. So, I am not sure what I am going to do here.

Lenses: The core is really set. There might be a bit of churn, but this is as easily me selling off a lens or two. If I add, it would be more of a niche lens, for example, I am shooting more portraits of family especially my suddenly teenage nieces and nephews. I am finding the vast majority of my favorite shots are from the 50Art and another focal length with a faster aperture might be nice. So, I may add a prime, or rent, but that is TBD. But that really may be it.

The R system does interest me, a little. For the bodies, there is a minor advantage in terms size/weight, but I do like the idea of the AF spread over most of the frame. That is not enough for me to get into the system. The bigger draw is the RF lenses.
While RF lenses are remarkable, it is incremental improvements from the EF, especially EF "L" lenses. I do not see me personally really benefiting enough to justify the switch.
Starting this year, I had thought I'd probably pick up a new, not announced much less released, high resolution EOS-R as my second camera and slowly transition to RF lenses by swapping a lens or so a year. But, right now, I am as likely to keep my core kit for 5-10 more years and then only transition as things start to fail or by some new tech that blows me away. Maybe transition to an EOS-R "Mk 3" in 5 years and then start a slow transition of EF to RF lenses?

But, my gear is not limiting me. I do not see any significant changes to my kit for the foreseeable future. Really, what I need is more time, but that is another story.
When Jessica gave me 2nd 6D I thought it'd be more two body shooting, but so far I haven't done it that much. The concept is appealing.

I expect Canon will release a higher grade EOS R in the near future. The high end lenses released so far seem like a lot of lens for the EOS R body cost and would fit better on a high end body.

Dave