Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowstone near Cody

This July I didn't even take my camera or lens. First time in the last 10 years.
    I did take the 10x30 Canon Binoculars with IS. The IS on Canon's binoculars are great, it makes it easy to hand hold. If I had a recommendation it would be considering getting a good pair. Most of Lamar you will well out of reach of your 600mm for a decent picture but very view able with your binoculars. I spotted a grizzly and two cubs this year and watched them for some time, according to Google Earth they were a bit over a mile away. It is not uncommon to see the wolves working the river a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. They are fun to watch if you catch them out.

All the prior posts are great advice. The views of the Tetons from the car are wonderful without any walking, but that does add a lot of driving if you are staying in Cody.

Last trip in 2017 I took some shots wider than 24mm. but they were not my favorites once I reviewed then back home. Probably you don't need the 16-35 if you take the 24-70.

Had a great time on our abbreviated Yellowstone trip .... we saw most of the park over 3 days from the car with a few limited short walks to some of the iconic spots. The advice I received here prior to the trip was spot on ... many thanks to all. We also made it down to Lake Jackson for a quick look at the Tetons too. I took a bunch of landscape images.....the immensity of the place is so impressive. We saw some wildlife too but, other than Bison, most were not very close to the road except one black bear with 2 cubs crossed the road right behind us in the Sylvan Pass .... I was a bit too slow stopping and getting out of the car and my camera on a slower than needed shutter speed to get a good pic of that. I used a 5DS-R and a 5D MK IV with 24-70mm f/2.8 or the 100-400mm and at times I used a Tiffen 8 stop variable ND filter.

Last edited by Joel Eade; 09-04-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Nice picture set!