Thread: Yellowstone near Cody

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rick covered it. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places. I can't believe I haven't been back in 20 years. But, growing up, we went every couple of years. You definitely want some power for Lamar valley. I remember watching coyotes working the edges of elk herds, but everything was very far off. Most people had spotting scopes, as Rick mentioned. If I recall I had binoculars which were better than nothing, but left me wanting more.

Artists viewpoint of lower falls was another favorite. But, just in general, beautiful drives, crazy smells and something to see very frequently. I am not sure what you are bringing, but I can see most focal lengths getting used from UWA to super teles, and shots off tripods to handheld. I know photography isn't the point of the trip, but you'll get some great pictures no matter what you bring.

In Cody, I remember the Buffalo Bill Museum was also very impressive. From the collection guns to the history of Buffalo Bill himself.

Certainly appreciate all the advice .... since photo's will not be the priority of this trip I will have to bring a limited amount of gear.

Under consideration: 5DS-R, 5D MKIV, 100-400 + 1.4 TC, travel tripod, for wide angle either the 24-70 or 16-35 (not sure yet), ND filters

This will fit in a small bag and not be too cumbersome with a car full of people.

I can get out to 560mm with this arrangement.....unfortunately I think bringing the 600mm will have to wait for another trip dedicated more to photography.