Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
Not diffraction related, but speaking of the M, I thought the M mount was being gently swept aside to be replaced by the R mount. Instead, it looks like we're keeping both new mounts. Choice paralysis will mean a lot of people will not buy either, out of fear of buying the wrong one. Good job Canon!
I still see a lot of speculation that the M mount's days are limited. But Canon has created a problem...maybe not in NA, but the M's apparently sell extremely well in Asian markets. Not many companies dump money making products.

Unfortunately, I predict the future is sadder for the M than a quick death. Rather, Canon will never let it reach its full potential. This is a bit of an odd statement, as the M is surprisingly good. Quick case and point, the EFm 11-22 vs the 16-35 f/4 L IS. By this, I mean a fully populated ecosystem with additional lenses, additional better lenses, a more professional body (granted, M5/M6 were solid, IMO, but a M1 body), etc. Canon will let the casual photographer buy the M, but are clearly making the R series their high end. That is where the resources are going.

As to the future, I am a bit torn. On one had, the M is so distinctively small, both the bodies and lenses. And it punches well above its weight. In some ways, it is an amazing camera system for hiking, maybe travel, etc. So, I can see it having a distinctive niche and maybe that is enough for it to carry on. But, my other thought is that Canon is simply buying time to more fully populated the R ecosystem, if M sales drop once this has happened, say they do a series of f/4 zooms that are small and combined with an RP can come close enough to replacing the M's size/weight advantage, then I can see the M quietly being shown the exit door.

My personal problem is that the G7X II is actually pocketable, so it beats the M3 in size/weight. It also doesn't even take up a full "cube" in my camera bag, so I throw other stuff into the same space with it, making it much more transportable. While the images from the M3 are better, when I want good images, I go to the 5DIV, which is the majority of time.