Thread: Anyone buy Black Friday camera gear?

Anyone buy Black Friday camera gear?

Did anyone buy any Black Friday camera gear? I didn't buy anything, but intend to make more time to go take photos going forward.

Dave

I've been following a few items, watching for a deal. Nothing great yet, hoping for Cyber-Monday bargains. I noticed and read that sales volume was very good and many websites could not handle the volume.
    Scott

I'll probably be picking up a M6 II later today. I use the M3 for my EOS-M/"small kit." I've been debating getting rid of my entire "M" kit as I mostly use my G7X II or 5DIV, or upgrading the M3 to the M6 II for better AF, lower light focusing, etc. Still teetering just a bit, but most likely going to pick it up and give the EOS M more of a chance. If nothing else, the M3 with external mic has become my go to video camera and the M6 would be better as the M3 has struggled with low light AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I'll probably be picking up a M6 II later today. I use the M3 for my EOS-M/"small kit." I've been debating getting rid of my entire "M" kit as I mostly use my G7X II or 5DIV, or upgrading the M3 to the M6 II for better AF, lower light focusing, etc. Still teetering just a bit, but most likely going to pick it up and give the EOS M more of a chance. If nothing else, the M3 with external mic has become my go to video camera and the M6 would be better as the M3 has struggled with low light AF.
    Cool, enjoy it.

Dave

So, have you got the M6 II ? I'd be very interested in your experience with it. I'm sure you would get great pictures out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    So, have you got the M6 II ? I'd be very interested in your experience with it. I'm sure you would get great pictures out of it.
    Thanks Pierre.

Yes, I did pick up the M6 II. I have only had it about a week with poor weather and a friend visiting. So my time with it is limited. However, what I can tell you is I am impressed thus far. Biggest impression is that it is "more fun" to use. For whatever reason, I did not enjoy using my M3. But, the M6 is slightly larger, deeper grip, and has a better feel to it. It very much feels like a mini DSLR. So, it simply feels better but also has a few new features I am enjoying like being able to shoot 14 fps and the touch and drag feature.

I will say, the 32 MP on the APS-C sensor size (so pixel density), in a few of the pics I have taken, I believe I am seeing what people have talked about, if you are going to pixel peep, you had better do everything perfect (tripod, or very fast shutter speed). I looked at a few shots I took around 1/125th of a second (~50 mm) and I am not sure if it is the lens (EFm 18-55) or ever so slight movement, but yeah, wasn't sharp when viewed at 100%.

But, that is me just taking a few pics. Very early impressions are overall that it is a nice little camera.

That said, I have already run into my dilemma. Yesterday, I was dropping my friend off at the airport in Boston, and we had some time to kill so we decided to check out the Sam Adams brewery. I did not want my 5DIV...just a small camera....I was tempted by the M6II, but grabbed my G7X II and slipped it into my coat pocket. That said, my friend and I also checked out some Presidential candidates that were in NH over the weekend. I still have to evaluate the images, but I have a few bursts of Joe Biden at 14 fps. The M6 with 55-200 mm was perfect for that. So, hopefully the M6 is now useful enough it has a place in my camera kits.

I'll post some pics and additional comments if interested. Just nothing more than initial impressions at this point.

Just a few more impressions. Used the M6 for video over Christmas. Worked flawlessly. Even at high ISO, I am very impressed. Tracked my nieces running around very well.

I have taken a few stills with it, where it does seem very good. As expected, I do not see it replacing my 5DIV. But given how much I am liking the ergonomics, if Canon were to release a higher end general purpose zoom for the M-mount, I'd probably pick it up. The 18-55 that I use is good, but there is room for improvement with 32 MP. I haven't tested my other lenses, which I'll do at some point this winter.

Just a few more impressions. Used the M6 for video over Christmas. Worked flawlessly. Even at high ISO, I am very impressed. Tracked my nieces running around very well.

I have taken a few stills with it, where it does seem very good. As expected, I do not see it replacing my 5DIV. But given how much I am liking the ergonomics, if Canon were to release a higher end general purpose zoom for the M-mount, I'd probably pick it up. The 18-55 that I use is good, but there is room for improvement with 32 MP. I haven't tested my other lenses, which I'll do at some point this winter.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I heard a lot of good things about the M6II. I'm not really interested since I already have a M50 and it does everything I need, but I'm looking forward to seeing the future of the M lineup. I could imagine buying a more "serious" model eventually.