Thread: Using a flash...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Using a flash...

stephen,

i really like tom's advice to use your hand as a way to bounce the flash off the ceiling. Haha Very creative. But if you don't want to invest in a flash then it is an alternative. His advice to use a mirror is sound as well. The use of a piece of white card board and be used to bounce it as well, giving a more softer look than the mirror even. Another 'cheap' fix is to use a sheet of white computer paper to filter the flash, and shoot through the paper for another softer look.

You might also look into purchasing a reflector set. They usually come with a white, silver and gold reflector, that you can use to reflect the light bouncing off the subject back onto for a fuller look, that isn't so harsh. Reflectors are relatively inexpensive and are collapsible and portable.

Re: Using a flash...

Here is a picture I just took using the back of the hand method. I noticed that he has a catchlight that is red from my hand. Still the direct flash would not have this look to it, the background would be dark, as the only lights on in this room were from the christmas tree. A white card or a small mirror would be much better, with more reflected light and whiter light that matches the AWB better. Still it beats a blurry photo or one with a lot of noise.

Sorry I didn't mean to take this thread on a weird tangent.

Tom