Thread: Canon 1DX Battery

Canon 1DX Battery

Hi Everyone,

I have been using 2 Canon LP-E4N batteries for 6 years and they start to show their age. I want to get new batteries for my 1DX as I plan to continue to use it as long as I can. I want to get the new LP-E19 that the 1DX Mark II uses but my understanding is it cannot be charged with the old 1DX LC-E4N charger. Can someone with personal experience confirm this? The price for the new LC-E19 charger is $350. Brand new LP-E4N are still being sold on B&H but lithium ion cells have a shelf life and I don’t know how long B&H has had these. I don’t mind using aftermarket batteries as long as they can be charged with my LC-E4N charger and my 1DX can read it.

Thank you!
    Nate

From what i have read you will nee the new charger for the new battery.
    "The new LP-E19 battery pack is a 2700 mAH device running at 10.8 volts. In addition to the LP-E19, the EOS-1D X is also compatible with existing Canon LP-E4N and LP-E4 battery packs; However, maximum continuous shooting speeds are reduced to 12 fps through the viewfinder and 14 fps with the mirror locked up when using the older batteries (versus 14 fps and 16 fps respectively using the LP-E19). Users can charge LPE-4, LP-E4N and LP-E19 battery packs on the new Battery Charger LC-E19. However, LP-E19 battery packs cannot be charged on Battery Charger LC-E4 or LC-E4N."
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

I'm not sure where you got that but it has to be referring to the 1DX II. The 1DX is only capable of 12 and 14 fps, the 1DX II does exactly as you said and reduces its frame rate by 2 fps.

Hi everyone, revisting this thread from 2.5 years ago. What 3rd party battery do you recommend for the good old 1D X? Does anyone have experience with Wasabi? Amazon has the Wasabi LP-E19 for $60 a pop and $40 for the charger. I can shell out $170 for the genuine Canon LP-E19 but it's the $370 charger that keeps me from going this route.

I couldn't find a Canon battery in stock anywhere so I bought one a couple months ago from Amazon and it works.

Look for: DTSE LP-E4N replacement battery.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 10-14-2022 at 12:48 PM.

PS ... the battery I purchased works in the Canon battery charger that came with the 1DX

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I couldn't find a Canon battery in stock anywhere so I bought one a couple months ago from Amazon and it works.

Look for: DTSE LP-E4N replacement battery.
    Thanks Joe, I found DSTE instead of DTSE I assume it's a typo? and it's $58. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Thanks Joe, I found DSTE instead of DTSE I assume it's a typo? and it's $58. I will give it a try.
    Yes, sorry about my dyslexia !!!

I've got some third party batteries and chargers and they all work. I like better my original canon stuff, but as you said it is very expensive. Keep an eye out on your local classifieds, one time I saw a Canon charger for $35 and regret not being able to get it. It was a 4 hour drive but still.

The DSTE battery came yesterday, it charged fine with the canon charger, my 1D X reads it and provides all the information. Thanks guys for the tip! I will put it to work this weekend.