Thread: 1DX Mark III

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I'm sure my "old" Mark II would have lost tracking against those trees -- it can never seem to lock on in those situations.
    I thought that was what the IR in the RGB+IR metering sensor was about. It will track warm bodies, so if it is temporarily obscured, or against a cluttered background, it will still stand out and be trackable.

Then again, I could just be making things up, as I don't think Canon has ever said how they use the IR data. I seem to recall someone shooting baseball, and being impressed with the tracking still working when the players moved behind some netting, which just reenforced my idea on how the IR is being used.

Assuming my IR idea is right, your owl might be too well insulated and not show up strong enough for older bodies. (I'm definitely into the realm of just making stuff up now!)

edit: http://infrared-birding.blogspot.com...d-birding.html
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 02-15-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add link to IR bird page
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L