Thread: 1DX Mark III

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, by coincidence, it seems like Joel's R5 arrived to him 1 day before my 1DX III arrived to me. A big difference, Joel gets to keep his R5 and this 1DX III goes back to early next week.

I have known for awhile now I wanted a camera better suited for wildlife. I am very interested in Joel's impressions of the R5, as I was Jonathan's of the 1DX III. But, I wanted to play with a 1DX body myself, as I had never done that.

A few impressions after the first day of use:
    • 1400 pictures happened fast. I wasn't even really trying, just sat on my bird set up for 10-15 minutes 3 times.
    • I am pretty sure the sound or maybe the feel of 16 fps causes a direct rush of dopamine because, wow, that is exhilarating.
    • So, this is what a 2x extender was built for. I've wondered, because, honestly, the AF is not great on the 5D IV and doesn't even really work on other camera bodies. On the 1DX III, it occasionally hunts, but otherwise is about as fast as a regular lens on the 5DIV.
    • Speaking of fast, it feels like the AF is on target before I have completely finished pushing the button.
    • 20 MP sensor...this ain't your Grandpa's 20 MP sensor. It really isn't bad, although, I can tell the difference coming from the 5DIV.

But, to sum up my initial impressions:

1DX III, 1000 mm (500 f/4, 2x TC), 1/2000th, f/8, ISO 12,800 (I cleaned it up in post)
    Name:  TDP-1253.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  149.1 KB

I am not trying to say this is an amazing photo. Just more that I've taken thousands of pictures of humming birds with several different cameras over the years. I have taken pictures of them hovering, feeding, or perched. Never have I captured a good picture of a HB transition from hovering and starting to zoom off to a different location....on a lens with a 2x TC attached, which is often slow to AF.

Speaking of perched, this is 1/9th of the frame from this morning: same set up as above, 1/160th sec, f/8, ISO 2000. To get 1/1000th, I was ISO 12800, so I decided to try a couple of second burst to see if one would come out sharp(ish). About 3 did. So, perhaps not a perfect example of what cropped on the 20 MP sensor looks like, as there is still a bit of blur, but an indication.
    Name:  TDP-1416.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  190.2 KB

I am still very much considering the R5, but I have always wondered what those extra volts in the 1D battery could do. Apparently drive AF very fast.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-21-2020 at 03:06 PM.