Thread: 1DX Mark III

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a 5D MKIII that has a modified sensor to detect infrared light with a frequency of 715 nanometers. It retains all the resolution of the original sensor as well.
    I think the infrared light detected by thermal or heat sensors is in a different range of the IR spectrum and perhaps hi res sensors are not as practical for those frequencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I have a 5D MKIII that has a modified sensor to detect infrared light with a frequency of 715 nanometers. It retains all the resolution of the original sensor as well.
    I think the infrared light detected by thermal or heat sensors is in a different range of the IR spectrum and perhaps hi res sensors are not as practical for those frequencies?
    So this gets into wave vs photon theory with light, but just pointing out 715 nanometers is 0.715 um and the pixel dimensions of the 1DX III are 6.58 um x 6.58 um, assuming gapless configuration (not a bad assumption with the microlenses). I do not know the depth of pixel "bucket", but my point is that we are not actually that far off in the size of pixels from the wavelengths of light. I could see some interference for longer wavelengths such as IR. This isn't even getting into wave amplitude, which in a quick search I didn't find.