Thread: 2020 - Image of the Week #10

2020 - Image of the Week #10

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly, and in our annual poll for the title of "TDP Forum Image of the Year."

• Week 10 entry period will be from Monday, March 2nd through/including Sunday, March 8th.
    • Please provide a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro, or any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by NFLDStephen.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-07-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Well I'll start this week off. SMILE FOR THE CAMERA!!!

Salish Sea

Salish Sea
    by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr

From a trip to Washington last summer, but I just tried some post-processing that I like better than my first attempt.

"Sailboat"

6S0A1108 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Immature Sylph

Barn on moonlight

Barn on the moonlight by Kari, on Flickr

Great shots from everyone again this week! These competitions are always tough to judge as every photo brings something different to the table.

Hope no one minds, but first a few comments on each:
    Jayson: I'm a sucker for animal shots (particularly animals which seem to be seldom photographed). Really like the expression on the beaver with how close you were able to frame it and bonus points for having it looking at the camera. Background is a bit busy and there is not much color variation to make the beaver stick out from the background (I guess what do you expect from a beaver lodge though).
    Danny: I admit I had to look up to see where the Salish Sea was, I've actually been in the area previously but never heard that term before. For a minimalist type shot there is actually a lot going on here when you look closer. Love the mountain peak in the background and the ducks add another point of interest. Seems like most of the elements are grouped on the right of the frame though. Perhaps I would have preferred to see the ducks a bit more toward the centre and maybe not include the rock in the bottom right.
    Brant: Another oceanic minimalist photo here. I like how the water really blends in with the sky so finding the horizon is tough. And the bit of clouds at the top seems to provide a natural frame or ceiling to the image. Would be nice to see the sail up on the boat, but what can you do?
    Joel: I'm guessing this was taken on your trip to Ecuador? Excellent color and very smooth background blur really make the bird pop. Per usual sharpness and focus are spot-on. A minor preference for me would be to have a bit more room on the left of the bird (and perhaps a bit less on the left).
    Kari: Your nighttime photos are always great. Like the interest in the old barn: weathered wood, tin roof and half-slanted looking like you may have caught this barn in the process of falling down. I think it might be nice to see a bit more of the scene though, perhaps a bit more room to show off the stars and night sky a bit more.

Well, since I have to pick one, I'll have to go with Joel's Immature Slyph this week. Congratulations Joel!

Stephen

Thanks for picking my image and thanks for the thoughtful critique .... I think you are correct in the bird is a bit too centered in the frame.

Thanks for the analysis, Stephen. And congratulations, Joel! Great choice for this week.

congrats Joel!