Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy times huh?

Crazy times huh?

Best wishes to everyone around the globe who frequents the site. It's going to be an interesting period, hope everyone stays safe.

Dave

I will second that! At least photography can be done with 'social distancing', thank goodness.

Yeah, being northern lights chaser makes me be on very lonely places safe =) Have to say that working on university IT has been bit bysy last days here in finland. All study and teaching and remote work is now reliable that we keep network up and systems running since everybody is now remote.

Why? What's happening????

Ok...I make bad jokes when stressed. Let's see, conferences: canceled. All non-essential trips: canceled. Vacation to Costa Rica: canceled. Stressed wife who is navigating this as a small business owner: that is active...not canceled.

I am actually supposed to be presenting at a conference in San Diego tomorrow. I would have been shooting shore birds yesterday evening the way I set it up. Then off to Costa Rica on Friday. There is one international trip in April that either a coworker or I are still hoping to make. Other than that, everyone is off the road until May.

All that said, and wars are fought where fewer people have died. Hopefully the measures work.

And agreed, stay safe everyone!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-17-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Honestly a week ago I thought we were in a situation I never imagined. Since then it's getting worse every day. And here we are today, at home with my wife. From now on, we probably won't go out except when we'll need food.
    I always thought we were pretty safe in our remote region of Switzerland. But then the virus became a terrible problem in Northern Italy, which is right on the other side of the Alps. That's one of the richest region of Europe, and after a few weeks, their health system was overwhelmed and they had to start choosing which people they would let die. That's the moment I started understanding the scope of what's happening.
    Switzerland is a few week behind Italy. But that's a blessing and a curse, because some people don't really take this problem seriously and still think it's just a cold and continue to live as if nothing is happening. Tonight, a government spokeperson said it was the last moment to avoid a disaster, and Swiss people are known for their moderation.
    I think America and Canada are a few days / weeks behind us. If I can tell you something, don't underestimate the virus and start taking care of your older family members. I would have liked to post an optimistic message. I hope I'll be able to in a few weeks.

Definitely a scary situation all over. We have been under mandatory work from home for a couple weeks now with all schools cancelled. Thank god for stable internet or my kids would be going crazy. Just wish it would stop snowing and raining so I could kick them outside for a while. Did see the sun for about 3 hours today. :-) Wishing everyone a safe couple of weeks or months, whatever it takes. On a brighter note, everyone can start going through their photos that they haven't touched and start editing!!!

I hope everyone is hanging in there. First, there is the obvious health issue and I hope that everyone is healthy. But, trying to keep everyone healthy is also leading to a potentially severe economic issue. Hopefully no one here is impacted too badly financially either.

These are certainly trying times. I don't think much camera equipment (or other consumer goods) are going to be sold in the near future. This has to make it though on the web site as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

My small corner of the world is still doing alright.

I hope others are doing as well as can be expected. I do expect things to get worse before they get better, but lets hope we peak in early April and the curve gets flattened shortly thereafter.

How's everyone doing? Here in the Netherlands the situation seems to be slowly getting worse, but still somewhat manageable due to good regulations. It looks like the curve is flattening a little... hopefully this trend will continue. We'll see....it's weird not to see some friends and family for such a long time, but if that's all it takes to keep the situation in control, we'll have to deal with it.

In the parts of Sweden where I live there aren’t too many cases yet, but the situation in Stockholm and other big cities is worse. Even if the direct impact of the disease has been fairly low in my little town so far, the indirect effects are huge – the streets are empty, shops are empty, restaurants are empty and so on. But that’s how it should be – the authorities advice people to keep for themselves and that’s what we do. If I should try hard to find some positive side-effect of the situation, it could be that it’s created lots of extra time for things I usually don’t have time for, like fixing the house, polishing the car etc…and of course extra time for photography. I wish everyone the best and look forward to a future TV news broadcast free from the word “corona”.