Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D III Memory Card question.

1D III Memory Card question.

So I'm getting a 1D III by Saturday. Would a faster card make a difference in how fast the buffer empties?

When I still had the 60D the Sandisk Extreme Pro with 90mb/s card it made a very large difference compared to a 20 or 30mb/s card.

It doesn't seem that expensive to just spring for the 160mb/s Sandisk or Lexar cards. Or would it even matter and just go for a lesser card?

Do you mean a 1D X III ?

Either way ... I would go with the faster Sandisk cards .... It does make a difference in clearing the buffer and I have had a couple bad experiences with Lexar cards.

Fast Glass,
    I have a 1DIII and I upgraded my mem cards to 150 MB/s. When I did this I almost doubled the # of shots before buffer full. I used a SanDisk Extreme Pro for the CompactFlash 160 MB/s card and a Lexar Professional 150 MB/s for the SD card. I have not had any issues with my cards. I think at the time I went with the Lexar to save a few bucks. My thinking was if the card fails I have a backup in the SanDisk.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Mark

Joel Eade, I'm getting a 1D III. The 1Dx III is way out of my price point. But oh man I would love one. With a 800mm f/5.6.

Mark, that's really good to know! Because having only 30 shots is kinda sucky by todays standards. But still way better than the T2i I had for the last 6 months. Felt like to huck it so many times how slow it was!
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 04-30-2020 at 05:13 PM.

My first 1D series was a 1D III (which was used when I acquired it) .... I'm just a bit surprised they are still available.

Its a very capable camera and I'm sure you will enjoy it. My advice is still the same ... go with the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro.

Have fun!

I certainly will.

Also, and I suppose you might not know. They make some seriously fast SD cards that match or exceede CF cards. For example Sandisk makes a 300mb/s and is only $54 for a 32 gig card. That's very reasonable and more than enough capacity for a 1D III and for how I shoot.

So my question is, because the 1D III is not UDMA compatible and can't fully take advantage of the speed of super fast CF cards. Some have said that SD might be able to actually be faster than a CF because of how these old beasts work? I haven't actually seen concrete evidence, might just need to test this theory out.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-01-2020 at 02:54 AM.

I never noticed any difference between an SD card and a CF card if they have similar write speeds.....I'm sure an SD card writing at 300mb/sec will perform wonderfully for you. I cannot remember ever having an issue with the buffer in my 1D III but I tend to shoot short bursts rather than the "machine gun" approach.

Thanks for the advice. Probably gonna do some comparing. I tend to do shoot a bit longer bursts with manual lenses, I sometimes like to rack the focus and shoot a burst. So it might be a lot of bursts in succession, so having a card that can empty the buffer quickly is nice.

Overall I'm not to worried, I'm sure I'm going to be thrilled compared to anything I have used before.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-01-2020 at 06:33 PM.

I turned my 1D III into a brick by letting it get wet. Canon was unable to repair it and now it sits as a monument on my shelf. So be careful if you're using it in the rain --- it's not so weatherproof.

Yeah, figured that out with my 60D. It was supposed to be "Partly" weather sealed. On the the shutter button and another button it became kinda sticky and had to press hard after a little rain. It cleared up on it's own with use but yes, it's not super water proof.

Just received it today, I can't believe how much better than the 60D or T2i this thing is! I'm very much not used to such a large body but I love it. Only way to describe it is its built like a tank! I love this thing.

Just waiting on a conversation mount so I can use my Minolta 600mm f/6.3 and I'm back in the birding game. Sort of, still need a decent tripod. Probably a used Gitzo 1325 and a Wimberley style gimbal. Not sure if I should go Wimberley or something else?