Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D III error 99

1D III error 99

So I am getting an intermittent error 99. It started last night. It went away after putting another fresh battery in it and turning it off and on a bunch of times, removing and reinstalling the battery, while it was off working all the buttons and switches. Eventually it started working again, so I put both bateries to charge (Both OEM with 2 out of 3 bars of performance). Same deal again this morning, error 99. Did the same thing but this time it took like 10 seconds of off and on and it works fine. But this time I straight away removed the lens. But now works with the lens.

What's happening is the camera works totally normal until I try to go into live view or take a pic. It doesn't raise the reflex mirror or take a pic. But I can here the shutter working during startup/shutdown. So is it the mirror box or shutter giving me grieve? Or do you think I have some bateries that are losing there life expectancy that is causing this?

Been using the 28-135mm, it's not in great shape and has a loose something inside as I move it around. Had issues focusing at certain focal lengths to infinity and generally at farther focusing distances. Not so much at close distances of 20 feet or less.Maybe the lens messes around with the body?

Apparently ERR99 is a non-specific error which can be from several causes.

Check this out

https://improvephotography.com/10372...ra-fix-repair/

Excellent link.

I've tried a whole bunch of things but what ended up working was replacing the button cell backup battery. So nice to hear it work again.

Thanks again! I promise this is the last 1D III post for a while.

That's great .... didn't have to lose time sending it in for repair ..... share some images when you can !!!

Need to get my computer going, its windows 8 and a POS. It doesn't want to install any kind of photo editing software what so ever. Not even DPP.

Well, my enthusiasm was short lived. It's doing it again! Although its WAY better. Right now it usually returns to normal after restarting it once or twice. So maybe a lens thing? I know my 28-135mm if banged up and won't focus to infinity below 50mm and sounds like like there is something small rattling in it.

So maybe the lens is causing it to get screwy. It's still very ussuable now. Just something I need to track down.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-05-2020 at 06:28 PM.

It can be the lens not communicating with the camera.

Do you have another lens to see if it has the same issue?

The small contacts on the lens and on the camera body can be cleaned by gently rubbing them with a soft cloth or a pencil eraser .... be very careful not to allow any debris to fall into the camera or the lens.

how to fix error 99 canon

No, I do not. Gonna have to hound a friend for one.

I will have to try,

A camera store or Best Buy might let you attach a lens in their store just to see.

Very possibly.

So after lots of hard reboots it still gives the error even without a memory card or lens. So I guess I'm just gonna have to live with it. Don't feel like sinking a bunch of mullah into a 12 year old camera body that I paid $350 for.

Although I don't feel too bad because it came with two good condition
    OEM bateries, dual charger, DC coupler and more. If I had to buy all that it probably run me close to $350 for that.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-07-2020 at 10:58 PM.