Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1D III error 99

So sorry you couldn't find a simple fix, I can understand not wanting to put much more money into it.

Hardly, good excuse to get a 1Dx. Really the plan was the 1D III was just a camera to buy me some time and to keep as a second backup body. So I'm not too bummed out.

But next time I think I'll pass on ebay for that, don't feel like getting screwed on a $2000 camera body. Going to buy it from someplace that has a warranty. So if I run into something like this again I have a return policy.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-07-2020 at 11:05 PM.

That's the spirit!!!

You may have some way through Ebay to get your money back if the item is not in the condition as advertised. If that's the case I would message the seller first and ask for a refund and ship it back to them if they will refund you. If not you can get Ebay involved and perhaps reach a resolution.

I have purchased used items ( including a 1D III) from Adorama in the past with zero issues ... unbeatable customer service

The original 1DX bodies should be a good bargain at this point
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-08-2020 at 11:22 AM.

https://www.keh.com/ for used equipment. I purchased my 1DIII & 1DsIII from them. Also other lenses and equipment. They have a 7 days, no questions asked, return policy and last I purchased from them, a 120 day warranty.
    Mark

Yeah, I love keh.com. Usually one of the most reasonable prices around for used gear (From a retailer anyway). I stumbled upon this deal, threw a low ball offer and the seller took it. Although I kinda know why now.

I think in the end I'm gonna keep it, looking at the prices on ebay and other retailers I scored a decent deal considering all the extras. It's not to bad and it doesn't do it all the time. So I'll live with it.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.

I don't know just how good a deal you got on ebay but there price seems pretty low on KEH when they have them in stock. They may even take the one you have in trade to lower the price for another one.
    It sounds like you like me with the desire for high end photo equipment but not a lot of $$s to spend.
    How do you like the 1D when its working right? I started with a 1DIIn. Now I only like the 1D line. I don't mind the weight.
    Mark

@clemmb

I got it for $342 with tax and shipping (Or $300 before tax and shipping). It came with an extra OEM battery, dual charger, AC adapter, AA adapter and some basic CF cards. I feel I got a pretty decent score since even a used battery still goes for a bit of change. It was the cheapest one at the time especially considering the accessories.

So far I LOVE it! The AF is very good, much better than the 60D I used before. It's extremely customizable and I really enjoy the ergonomics of it. It is a bit heavy but after a bit you get used to it. It's a chunk.

Also I noticed the 1.3 DOF more than I thought I would, you can eek out noticeably more background blur. It's definitely significant. I also am enjoying the extra vigneting for portraits. It draws the subject in really nicely.

The colors are very very nice! Without comparing it side by side I feel it blows highlights more easily than say the 60D or T2i I used to have. But with getting the proper exposure it's not usually a problem and Highlight Priority mode really helps a lot with that.

Over all I REALLY love it especially for the price, now it makes me want to get the 1Ds III for a companion. Or just get a 1D X.

I kinda figured out the issue, basically I was using the Minolta 58mm f/1.4 without the conversion mount and it would touch the contacts. Well that would cause the error till I did a hard reboot (Take out the button cell and let it sit with the camera on for 20 mins or so, you can look it up online) and it will fix the problem till I do it again. But now that I have the mount converted and now know not to do that it's working as it should. Minus the fact I still need to shave the reflex mirror to clear the rear element at infinity focus. So I just have been using live view for those shots and problem solved.

Overall I'm glad I got it, I've put off buying one for WAY too long and now I'm addicted to the 1-Series line.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 07-04-2020 at 08:27 PM.