Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Pretty glowing review all around!!
    John is a superb wildlife photographer and I've known him for several years. The big game changers for him are the light weight and quietness of the R5, because he spends a lot of time on foot. He's used to using the toggle for moving the focus point around, and he doesn't use back-button focus. I for one just can't stand the toggle, and I love using back-button focus. So the 1DX III with the trackpad AF-ON button is the biggest game changer for me personally. If they ever incorporate that into a R5 Mark II, I would be all over it. Till then I will keep the lowly 1DX III and put up with it somehow . I don't mind the weight or the "low" MP count. If you really need high-quality files for big printing, the Topaz software (DeNoise and Sharpen) do a fantastic job and turn your images into something that you can pixel-peep with great satisfaction.

I should add, he isn't into birds at all, hence nothing on that subject. But other reviewers have covered that quite well already.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Aaand since i got so good deal on the R6 just ordered myself the RF800mm to finally go back to my photographing root aka birds and animals. So might actually end up takin pictures daytime
    Looking at this lens at retail sites and youtube I have never seen it mounted on a tripod and it apparently does not come with a collar or foot. Do you know how it mounts on a ballhead or gimbal?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Looking at this lens at retail sites and youtube I have never seen it mounted on a tripod and it apparently does not come with a collar or foot. Do you know how it mounts on a ballhead or gimbal?
    That's a good observation --- it looks like a gimbal is not possible with this lens. But I suppose you could use a rail and clamp setup to make it work from a camera bracket..? Something like this: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/192...-192-FAS-Clamp

It does look like you could attach a plate or foot to the lens but then without a collar you could not rotate the camera to adjust for leveling or to take a vertical image.

Perhaps the designers intended for this to be a hand held lens primarily but at f/11 I would think some slower shutter speeds will come into play which would need a tripod or is the IBIS so good as to eliminate the need?

Also for wildlife (especially birds) using a tripod for long sessions in a blind is a necessity.

Should be able to use it on gimbal since it has the spot on bottom, where you can attach plate https://youtu.be/EZ9y5YCHnn8?t=246

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Should be able to use it on gimbal since it has the spot on bottom, where you can attach plate https://youtu.be/EZ9y5YCHnn8?t=246
    Yes that would work. And if you have a leveling base on the tripod, you could use that to adjust for camera angle. However rotating to vertical wouldn't work.

https://www.benroeu.com/products/benro-gh5c.aspx example, arent't you able to rotate vertically also since it rotates horisontally? Just use the plate which comes with gimbal or am i understanding you wrong?

Even thouhg, R6+800mm is so light set that you could use this also if i am not mistaken:

https://www.acratech.net/gp-ball-hea...d-pan-feature/

I am comparing it to a lens that has a typical tripod collar in which case you can loosen the collar and easily rotate the camera without moving the ballhead or gimbal.

Looking at the owners manual on these f/11 lenses they have a mounting site for a plate but no collar like other telephoto lenses:

Last edited by Joel Eade; 08-09-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Ahh ok, now i understand what you mean....never used collar like that so that made me wondering