Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Great stuff! It’s real-life experiences like this which are the most compelling for me. Looking forward to more updates!

Really nice indeed. Finally i think i have the lens to go take bird images later on this year to my favorite river with dippers

Thanks Joel. Keep 'em coming!

Edit

BTW...a nice direct comparison between the R5 and 5DIV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQnabuGXOdY

I especially thought it was interesting at ~1 min where he is commenting on the bokeh being clipped by the mirror box on the 5DIV but not on the R5 (no mirror).
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-21-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Bokeh clipped by mirror box. Oof whatban intrresting CHOICE of details.

What I am londerinf is over the weekend the guys at Magic Lantern (thanks Sean for pointing them out) figured out the overheat issue is simply a "cripple timer" software limitation.

Sure you will void the warranty... but. 32 mp at 30 fps? Effectively for ever? I bet the ml guys figure out how tobdefeat the timer. Figure out how to record raw , etc.

Joel, imagine pointing it at the perch and just hitting record as the bird approaches. Several seconds of raw at 32 mp at 30 fps.

I am sure some product planner at Canon is miffed, but the person in charge of sales for R5 is snicker all the way to his bonus.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The otjer aha I had last night in planning my hardware purchase is that it might be better to pick up an R and convert to full spectrum and drop in eithe a uv, ir, or visible, filter behind the EF lens for an expansive imaging solution.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Yep. For those that care about the overheating "issue," I suspect Magic Lantern and others will figure out some sort of hack to the firmware at some point. I am hopeful Canon will address it with a firmware update themselves. But there is mounting evidence that the current limitations are overly cautious if not an outright attempt to limit the camera's video functionality.

Joel...I was wondering how you were getting on with the EVF? Have you tried the 20 fps with electronic shutter, if so, do you see a fall off in IQ? Any other impressions of the R5?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.

I am actually enjoying the EVF, especially the exposure simulation and the ability to review magnified images.

I have seen no black out at all shooting with mechanical or electronic shutter but be warned: using electronic shutter will produce a ton of images very quickly.....it's hard to realize how many because there is no sound.

I do not see image degradation when using the electronic shutter

I had posted some other comments in your 1DX 3 thread .... I will paste them here:

A few more features I found on the R5 and 800mm f/11:

Exposure Sim: both on the LCD and in EVF you see what the image will look like based on current settings

A histogram (either brightness or RGB) can be set to display live on the LCD (but not in the EVF)

Crop Mode: 1.6 crop mode with 800mm f/11 gives the field of view similar to a focal length lens of 1280mm and yields 17 mp images (very nice for small birds). No TC needed!!!

Bluetooth: using the Canon camera control app and a smart phone you can remotely control the R5 .... aim it a perch and wait ... when bird is in position just touch the phone and it fires away .... lets you hide better and much less motion involved. Also no cable release needed!!!

Shutter noise: the mechanical shutter is very soft and the electronic shutter dead quiet....so that satisfying machine gun sound is not available. The mechanical shutter is not near as fast as the 1Dx3 anyway.

Flash: does not function with electronic shutter

Control wheels: there are 3 .... the front one and big rear one as usual but another one around the mode button (set to adjust iso by default) They are all programmable.

The 800mm f/11 does not come with a lens hood ... bummer.

The LCD is articulating .... it can be folded inward against the body so no way to scratch it during transportation.

The LCD is a touch screen and almost everything can be adjusted by this method. Also it responds to gestures like an i-phone.

The large files from a full frame shot are slower to process of course .... my 2018 MacBook Pro will often turn on the fans during processing.

No issue overheating at all but I have not shot video

No issue with battery life .... I shot for 2-3 hours yesterday and still had 1/2 battery power left. I did set the LCD and EVF to turn off in 1 minute.

I tried my EF 600mm f/4 with the extender ..... AF is the same, works great, covers almost the entire frame. IQ is better than the 800mm f/11 (you get what you pay for) and using 1.6 crop mode you get the field of view equal to a 960mm f/4 lens with 17 mp images. I need to try adding the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters!

That's the latest news from my perspective.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 08-24-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks for the continued impressions Joel.

Just making sure you see it, new firmware on the R5 is out.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=35061

Gordon Liang and DPReview have reviews out.

I need to make a small correction:

There is an option to show the live histogram in the EVF

Nice Joel! Can’t wait for your BIF shots! Keep the real life reviews coming!