Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Perfect birthday gift. My R6 and 800mm arrived today

Joel, was it so that you have been shooting without the lens hood? Had it ordered but that canon did not yet get to deliver =)

Anyways, once the weather clears someday soon i hope here, expect to get some bird images with R6 and rf800mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Joel, was it so that you have been shooting without the lens hood? Had it ordered but that canon did not yet get to deliver =)
    Correct....lens hood is not included with the RF 800mm lens. I have been using it without a hood. Most of the time I don't think it will be a problem but I like the extra protection that a lens hood provides for the front glass element. I guess with certain lighting conditions lens flare might come into play more often without a hood in place. The 800 is fun to use, especially in crop mode, but the IQ is not on par with L series EF lenses so I am undecided about keeping it at this point. I will be interested to read your impressions of it soon! Congrats on the new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Nice Joel! Can’t wait for your BIF shots! Keep the real life reviews coming!
    Thanks ... I am looking forward to some BIF opportunities soon!

800mmtest by Kari, on Flickr

Image is nothing spectacular but have to say that the eye af was joy. Once got it setup right these birdies were joy to take images on this horrible backround, totally cloydy sky illuminated with some sun thru.

Very glad you are liking the R6 Kari. Looking forward to more pics.

Another video comparing the R5 to the 5DIV for birding. First half is really all R5, the comparison kicks off ~11 min. Seems fairly balanced, IMO. IQ was surprisingly (to the author) at low ISO, R5 was significantly better at high ISO. FPS, buffer and animal eye AF other significant advantages of the R5. 5DIV was better with TCs on his 600 f/4 except for low light, then the R5 was better. Etc.

Crane

Bit brighter weather and managed to pump into a crane family. Lots of cropped and still need to try remember how you edit bird images by not ower doing it like this but the EyeAF my goood it is good. The distance to this crane was something 300-400 metres atleast and yet, it found it.

Crane by Kari, on Flickr

And this was shot with R6 and the Rf 800mm F11 lens. Exif on image info.

Here are a few images using the R5 + Canon RF 100-500mm lens.

This may well be the ultimate handholdable rig and should be close to the perfect thing for BIF

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Bit brighter weather and managed to pump into a crane family. Lots of cropped and still need to try remember how you edit bird images by not ower doing it like this but the EyeAF my goood it is good. The distance to this crane was something 300-400 metres atleast and yet, it found it.

Crane by Kari, on Flickr

And this was shot with R6 and the Rf 800mm F11 lens. Exif on image info.
    Beautiful!

For those interested, Roger did his teardown of the R5:
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/202...orless-camera/

Seems improved weathersealing for the lower 2/3rds, typical weather sealing for the top 1/3. Densely packed electronics.

Another flurry of links:

Roger looking at the heat dissipation issue:
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/202...heat-emission/

Another wildlife review....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfMrg55bBQ

This guy did a comparison to the 5DIV earlier....but a 1 month review from a wedding photographer...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8izgCPnrHc
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-11-2020 at 04:09 PM.