Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I should also add, in response to the 'low' MP comment, that 20 MP is still really good. I've sold two copies of this image as 3' x 6' prints, and the clients have been absolutely thrilled with the result.

At Jonathan,

How do you feel the noise compares to the 1Dx II (Or just in general) in real life? It seems to be better but have a weird darkness to them (For lack of better words) in Bryans crops and DXO says it's actually worse than the MKII. Which I'm not really sure how they got that score but I digress. Was wonder how real world usage compared as I found out my 1D III is definitely got a bigger edge to the 60D I had even though on paper there was not "That" much difference. I found in real life the 1D III to be a noticable step up as a whole noise wise.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 07-09-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I should also add, in response to the 'low' MP comment, that 20 MP is still really good. I've sold two copies of this image as 3' x 6' prints, and the clients have been absolutely thrilled with the result.
    This image is simply spectacular in every way.

My comment about megapixels was only intended to convey that I was expecting the 1DXIII to be outfitted with a higher resolution sensor and that in comparison to other bodies I had considered for BIF it has a relatively low pixel count. Certainly 20 mp is capable of fine images and large prints.

The biggest advantage I had in mind for the high resolution sensors was the ability to crop significantly and still retain high IQ in terms of resolution. In situations where you can get close or have enough focal length to nearly fill the frame with your subject it wouldn't matter near as much.

After the news today it looks like the R5 and the 100-500mm may actually be a strong contender for my ultimate BIF rig......

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Have you seen anything much from birders saying the 1DX III isn't as good as a BIF rig? It is a bit odd, but I have seen remarkably little on it in terms of true BIF evaluations. But, Jonathan is doing pretty well with it
    I look for this frequently and there isn't much that I can find. Jonathan has shared some wonderful results....his owl images are wonderful. The relative lack of user reports is one reason I'm not completely convinced about the 1DXIII being my ultimate BIF solution.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 07-09-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Hi Fast Glass...where do you see DXO mark saying the 1DX III is worse than the II? I just looked and it has a higher score and checking their measurements, it looks better.
    ____
    EDIT: Just saw this go by. Looks like DXO Mark has backtracked on their initial test. What I looked at this morning was updated and the 1DX III is now scoring above the II.
    _____
    Ok...back to the R5/6....so, just saw the first reference to something I have wondered...as Canon is working to economize and cut costs, it makes sense to re-use parts....and, the sensor in the R6 is the same 20 MP sensor and same Digic X processor as the 1DX III.

I am really wondering if all the attention given to the R5 is a bit misplaced....the R6 is looking like a very equivalent camera, except for the resolution and a few high end video specs.....we'll see.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.

So, some of the specifications I am most interested in are coming out. With my 5DIV, my buffer fills in a matter of seconds (clocked it at 3.2 secs with 160 MB/sec CF only and 2.3 sec with SD card) and it is rated at 21 RAW images. This has been a limitation in numerous circumstances.

Buffer size:
    R5: 180 RAW/260 CRAW
    R6: 240 RAW/1000+ CRAW

I was hoping to be able to do the 12 fps for >5 seconds. Looks like both pass that easily with the R5 being at a minimum of 15 seconds continuous shooting of RAW at 12 fps (I say minimum as usually buffer size does not include what is being written to the card) and the R6 is well past that. Even at 20 fps, that is 9 sec of continuous shooting. I have seen one reference to this being to the CFExpress card only, which would be fine with me. I am starting to shoot to CF card only in the 5DIV to get my 3.2 sec buffer.

So, in terms of my boxes, consider this one checked.

An interesting spec I was not expecting, AF at -6 EV. I am plenty happy with the -3 EV lower AF limit in the 5DIV, so that is not something I am looking for, but for those of you that want to AF in a closet with no lights on. There you go.

In terms of a negative, Bryan doesn't include this yet, but I am hearing that battery life is 300-400 pics per charge. This is a negative. Granted, I have shot double the rated 305 images on my M6II on a single charge. So, we'll see, but this is one I am now watching.

Overall, these two cameras are looking very very good. Where the 1DXIII I view as sort of the apex of the DSLRs, it does look like, in particular the R5, these are everything the mirrorless/"next generation" folks have been asking for.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Most likely tomorrow going to local dealer to try and make some agreemend getting R6 to replace my 5d4. The R5 would be wonderfull, but its price in finland is quite horrible atm 4900€ish even with 5d4 its over 3.3k and there is limit of 110k pictures taken for the price given from old one and mine has over 143k =) So much likely have to also give couple of my lenses etc. on the trade to get myself nice R6 for my night time adventures, apperently that is quite an low light monster.

One thing that really is worrying is the battery, since i shoot a lot of time lapses, the 5d4 can easily give me nearly 1.5-2k images per battery. That seems to be an issue with canon, to have good battery life. IF R6 can be used with powerbank attached, then i am happy....
    Last edited by Karsaa; 07-10-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    IF R6 can be used with powerbank attached, then i am happy....
    1) It will work with a battery grip, so that would double your capacity
    2) I am seeing several references to it being externally charged via the USB-C port which makes me think that externally powered is likely.

Yeah after reading this following thing i am having high hopes that right type of powerbank could actually work as "battery"also.

Both the Canon EOS R5 and the Canon EOS R6 also support USB charging or being powered via the USB-C connector using the PD-E1 USB power adaptor or other compatible USB-PD certified devices with high power output and a USB-C to C cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    I would need to be more proficient at shooting fast action and video to notice the advantages of the R5 or R6 over my current 5DIV. Undoubtedly Jonathan, Joel and Brant (and others on the forum) could make good use of the new features.
    I may be in the same boat. At least for awhile. I will probably buy a new camera sometime in the next year or so as I have decided that if I start going on major photo opportunities I'll have a second body. But, so far the 5DIV has been working well for my current needs.

And while the R5 is checking boxes for what I have ultimately decided I would like to improve upon my 5DIV, I actually think the biggest advance is not the fps/buffer size, etc that we are talking about. But rather face/eye/head detection. If a photographer is willing to "surrender" control to the camera, it seems that the R5/R6's system is now good enough, while taking photos of people/pets/etc, all you have to worry about is settings and composition.

And to a photographer that is shooting in "P" mode, think about it, they do not even have to worry about settings, they just point the camera, it will find the heads/faces/eyes, pick the settings, so all the "photographer" does is compose the image and snap the picture. This is an amazing thing for people just getting into photography, especially, say, young parents.

While I do remember manual focus cameras, I am very much used to autofocus but having to control everything else: settings, composition, and AF point location. As with others, I have become used to selecting AF location with the joystick to the point where I looked back at some family events and I do occasionally miss an eye or so, but I generally did not consider this to be a "need." But, I have to admit, playing with this on even the M6II, it is remarkable, and the R5/6 are supposedly better.

I think when people look back, this is going to be the major advancement here. I have heard a couple of the portrait/wedding photographers that have had hands on experiences comments like "tack sharp images on the eye every time at f/1.2"....

For example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM&t=595s

~11:10 has a comparison of similar images taken with R5/R6.

So, I still believe in shoot until you identify a need. So, I am not one of those that are running out and getting this. But, from the sidelines (for now), I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Yeah after reading this following thing i am having high hopes that right type of powerbank could actually work as "battery"also.

Both the Canon EOS R5 and the Canon EOS R6 also support USB charging or being powered via the USB-C connector using the PD-E1 USB power adaptor or other compatible USB-PD certified devices with high power output and a USB-C to C cable.
    Ok...I do not shoot this way, but if I did, that is cool.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.