Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    IF R6 can be used with powerbank attached, then i am happy....
    1) It will work with a battery grip, so that would double your capacity
    2) I am seeing several references to it being externally charged via the USB-C port which makes me think that externally powered is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    At current prices and for my goal of having a light, hand holdable, high res rig for BIF I think I would prefer the R5 + 100-500mm + 1.4 TC as opposed to the 1DXIII

I could also see using my EF lenses with an adapter on the R5 for more static shots

I would keep my 1DX which is still a very good camera for low light.

Also would keep my 5D MKIV

My 5DS-R I would consider selling to partially offset the cost of the R5 rig

Now I only need a $7K winning lottery ticket
    Probably a good strategy overall (especially the part about the winning lottery ticket!). The new 100-500 with 1.4 TC will have a wide-open aperture of f/10 at full zoom, so you're definitely going to need a lot of light to get BIFs at 1/2000 sec without hitting crazy high ISO. So that's the only downside I can see. Time will tell how good the R5 is for noise, but at 45 MP it is inherently limited by the laws of physics so it's going to be noisier than the 1DX no matter what. The only question is how much noisier. Then again, it should be better than the 5DS-R, so given that you have good experience with that already, you probably already have a really good sense of how the R5 will perform.

I think the only thing missing on the R5 which I would have liked to see is the same AF-ON button with trackpad controller, that is on the 1DX III. I find that such a fantastic feature, and it is soooo much better to use than the joystick controller for moving the focus point around. I love how you can swing the point around while pressing the button (I'm a back-button focuser). If the R5 had that I would almost be tempted to get it for my second body. I'm guessing that you should be able to move the focus point by dragging your thumb over the LCD screen (like you can with the Canon R), but that isn't anywhere near as nice as the AF-ON trackpad. A lot of the time you can use auto focus point selection, so moving the point around manually is unnecessary. But when you're shooting bears and other large wildlife, you typically want to go with a single point and then put that point right on the eyeball. So being able to move it around quickly is a real bonus.

I would agree that noise may well be an issue for the R5 and f/10 is not optimum for sure but I may not use the 1.4 TC for flight images very often.

I'm hoping the sensor will have similar or better performance than the Nikon D850 (also 45 mp)

I have a couple of friends who have used that body with great success for flight photography.

The RAW images from the Nikon D850 are pretty good up to iso 3200 and any noise in those files cleans up readily especially with Topaz DeNoise AI.

Also curious to see how a 600mm f/4 with an adapter will fair with the AF tracking .... would not expect it to be as good as an RF lens of course.

I like the joystick and using it has become second nature to me so not too worried about that feature.

I have used back button focus a lot but have not been convinced to stay with it all the time....the more traditional AF on button next to the joystick won't bug me (I think) since I have never used a camera with the trackpad.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 07-10-2020 at 11:14 PM.

I'm going to stay with what I have.

Dave

I would need to be more proficient at shooting fast action and video to notice the advantages of the R5 or R6 over my current 5DIV. Undoubtedly Jonathan, Joel and Brant (and others on the forum) could make good use of the new features.

Yeah after reading this following thing i am having high hopes that right type of powerbank could actually work as "battery"also.

Both the Canon EOS R5 and the Canon EOS R6 also support USB charging or being powered via the USB-C connector using the PD-E1 USB power adaptor or other compatible USB-PD certified devices with high power output and a USB-C to C cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    I would need to be more proficient at shooting fast action and video to notice the advantages of the R5 or R6 over my current 5DIV. Undoubtedly Jonathan, Joel and Brant (and others on the forum) could make good use of the new features.
    I may be in the same boat. At least for awhile. I will probably buy a new camera sometime in the next year or so as I have decided that if I start going on major photo opportunities I'll have a second body. But, so far the 5DIV has been working well for my current needs.

And while the R5 is checking boxes for what I have ultimately decided I would like to improve upon my 5DIV, I actually think the biggest advance is not the fps/buffer size, etc that we are talking about. But rather face/eye/head detection. If a photographer is willing to "surrender" control to the camera, it seems that the R5/R6's system is now good enough, while taking photos of people/pets/etc, all you have to worry about is settings and composition.

And to a photographer that is shooting in "P" mode, think about it, they do not even have to worry about settings, they just point the camera, it will find the heads/faces/eyes, pick the settings, so all the "photographer" does is compose the image and snap the picture. This is an amazing thing for people just getting into photography, especially, say, young parents.

While I do remember manual focus cameras, I am very much used to autofocus but having to control everything else: settings, composition, and AF point location. As with others, I have become used to selecting AF location with the joystick to the point where I looked back at some family events and I do occasionally miss an eye or so, but I generally did not consider this to be a "need." But, I have to admit, playing with this on even the M6II, it is remarkable, and the R5/6 are supposedly better.

I think when people look back, this is going to be the major advancement here. I have heard a couple of the portrait/wedding photographers that have had hands on experiences comments like "tack sharp images on the eye every time at f/1.2"....

For example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM&t=595s

~11:10 has a comparison of similar images taken with R5/R6.

So, I still believe in shoot until you identify a need. So, I am not one of those that are running out and getting this. But, from the sidelines (for now), I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Yeah after reading this following thing i am having high hopes that right type of powerbank could actually work as "battery"also.

Both the Canon EOS R5 and the Canon EOS R6 also support USB charging or being powered via the USB-C connector using the PD-E1 USB power adaptor or other compatible USB-PD certified devices with high power output and a USB-C to C cable.
    Ok...I do not shoot this way, but if I did, that is cool.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.

I came across where B&H compared the R5 to an number of different camera bodies and here where a number of Canon Explorers of Light, who have used the R5/R6, answer questions about them.

This is starting to answer my next main question, I am seeing a number of people commenting on how good the AF is. Speed/accuracy. Rick Sammon saying the R6 is going to be his "go to" wildlife camera...

No doubt Canon is behind the marketing getting advanced cameras to youtubers and EOLs, etc. But, I am seeing pretty consistent reports.

I should really get off the internet and go take pictures......

I would someday love to have a camera WITHOUT video capabilities, since i don't have any use of them. Give me just camara, should be cheaper and suffer no overheating issues like R6 and R5 have :P

But yeah, R6 with th 600mm and both extenders, good enough since the nice R6 af on both =)

So the 5 has 8 stop IBIS.
    "Stabilization gets better if you pair the in-body stabilizers with a compatible RF- or EF-mount lens."

So has anyone found the list of EF lenses that it is compatible with?
    How would this stack with the in body IS of my 500mm?
    This might be a bigger improvement and benefit to eliminate noise in low light than having the lower mp sensor. I can get my 500mm down to 1/250 before shake really becomes an issue. Getting it down even lower would be huge.