Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
Agreed ....

Also the 1Dx III has me put off a bit because of the relatively low pixel count AND to achieve max performance you must use live view and not the OVF ... bummer for my style of shooting.

If, in the near future, I do convince myself that I have to have a better BIF rig I will most likely consider adding a used Nikon or Sony body and lens specifically for that purpose.

A used Nikon D850 or D500 + 500mm PF would be great.

The Sony a9 and a9II are great BIF cameras but lenses are a bit of a dilemma. Based on multiple reviews, I'm not totally in love with the Sony 200-600 so lens choice here (even used) might be big bucks .... another 500 or 600 prime .... yikes!!
Have you seen anything much from birders saying the 1DX III isn't as good as a BIF rig? It is a bit odd, but I have seen remarkably little on it in terms of true BIF evaluations. But, Jonathan is doing pretty well with it

I am tempted, at least a little, by everything. The R5 and R6 actually tempt me a little. The weaknesses I have with my 5DIV are AF coverage, AF speed/tracking, buffer size, and fps. I want to say there is something else, but, I am not recalling it at the moment. The R5/R6 both "solve" my fps and AF coverage issues. The R5 has a CFExpress Type B card slot, so that would solve the buffer issue (just write to the one card). So that is great. AF speed/tracking is TBD.

But I am not a fan of the EVFs I've played with (including the R, a Sony in stores and renting the Fuji and owning the EVF-DC1/2). I do not really want more MPs than the 5DIV. And, probably most significant, I do not want to be tempted by the RF lenses. I really just got my EF lens kit where I want it. I know I could use an adapter, but I know me, and as soon as I have an R body, I'll want at least a few RF lenses.

Add that all up, if I want to "solve" my "problems" (I use quotes as the 5DIV really is remarkable) I am leaning toward swallowing hard and the 1DX III.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Both cameras appeal to me but at the moment, I'm really happy with my R. Has anyone seen the article on Canon Rumors about leaked pricing for the R5, R6 and the lenses? https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are...r6-and-lenses/

Not really shocked about the price of the R5 but I am a little shocked at the price of the RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM. I really thought it would be north of $3000. I'll have to rent it when it is available to make the decision to buy.
Yep, just saw those. As for the RF 100-500, it is an f/7.1 lens....and f/5.6 at 400 is not that different than f/7.1 at 500 (400/5.6 = 71 mm while 500/7.1 = 70 mm). So, you are really talking about the same lens as the 100-400, just mirrorless can AF a bit better with less light, or so it seems.

Overall, I get the temptation. If I was coming in with a less populated kit, I would probably be going nuts. And, for someone that takes pictures of pretty much everything, moving...or not, the R5 or R6 both seem like a nice step up given the Eye-AF, fps, and AF point coverage.

I am looking forward to hearing what people think.