Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Kari....using focus peaking for astro. Love it. Great image, by the way. If that is your first attempt, I am looking forward to what else you have coming.

Just picked up R5.

Went to the Grand Canyon with my EF lenses and found I really like the adapter with the cpl.

Have both straight and filter insert adapters.

Shot alot with my 16-35 and 90 t/s.

I habe sooo much ef glass wondering of the RF glass is "worth it" and have to give up the cpl adapter.

Thoughts????
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I habe sooo much ef glass wondering of the RF glass is "worth it" and have to give up the cpl adapter.

Thoughts????
    Depends on the lens, IMO. My most-used filters are a 10-stop ND and a CPL, and I have those in 77mm and 82mm sizes that work with most lenses. Where the drop-in adapter if really nice is with lenses like my TS-E 17 and EF 11-24, where the front filtering options are a real PITA.

Filters aside, the question of is it ‘worth it’ comes down to the features and cost of the RF versions.

Thoughts????
    I've been mulling over exactly the same thing. Overall, my plan is:
    1. Pick up an RF lens that does something significantly better or new for me, compared to my existing kit.
    2. Wait 1-2 years as Canon fills out their RF lens lineup just in case something comes out that changes how I might want to construct my kit.
    3. Eventually make the RF conversion to take advantage of native lenses and the various enhancements that they offer, although, I doubt I will convert everything.

Most RF lenses have offered something over their EF counterparts. Right now, the RF 100-500 is probably most tempting. Lighter, slightly sharper, great balance, and 100 mm extra reach. I've seen some references go by that the AF may be faster too. Thus before my next event where I may focus on wildlife, I'll give that lens and any other wildlife focus lenses a harder look.

But, other than that, the adapters work great, and have the advantage of the drop in filters and being compatible both with my 5DIV and M6II.

The weak part of my kitbis the long end I am on the wait list for the 100-500.

What wait list? According to Amazon.com, if I ordered a 100-500 today it would be Prime delivered on Fri 11/19.

I wish. All the posts I see reference more soon vs arrival date certain

Now it says estimated 11/25. Stock for these high-demand lenses seems to trickle in, and you have to check often and act fast. I ordered my 100-500 on 8/15 when Amazon listed it as In Stock Soon. A couple of days later, canonrumors posted a stock notice for canon.com, they were sold out in a couple of hours. People who had ordered from B&H months prior didn’t get a lens, their queue is long. My lens was delivered on 8/25.

I wish. All the posts I see reference more soon vs arrival date certain
    Check with Steve Elkins at Bedford's Camera

9:06a: Amazon now says 18 in stock, more on the way, Prime delivery on Thu 11/18.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-500.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	2929

11:16a: Two hours later, 13 left.

1:09p: Two hours after that, back to ‘In Stock Soon’ with delivery 11/27-30.

As I said – check frequently and act quickly.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 11-14-2021 at 05:09 PM.