Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
Have you seen anything much from birders saying the 1DX III isn't as good as a BIF rig? It is a bit odd, but I have seen remarkably little on it in terms of true BIF evaluations. But, Jonathan is doing pretty well with it

I am tempted, at least a little, by everything. The R5 and R6 actually tempt me a little. The weaknesses I have with my 5DIV are AF coverage, AF speed/tracking, buffer size, and fps. I want to say there is something else, but, I am not recalling it at the moment. The R5/R6 both "solve" my fps and AF coverage issues. The R5 has a CFExpress Type B card slot, so that would solve the buffer issue (just write to the one card). So that is great. AF speed/tracking is TBD.

But I am not a fan of the EVFs I've played with (including the R, a Sony in stores and renting the Fuji and owning the EVF-DC1/2). I do not really want more MPs than the 5DIV. And, probably most significant, I do not want to be tempted by the RF lenses. I really just got my EF lens kit where I want it. I know I could use an adapter, but I know me, and as soon as I have an R body, I'll want at least a few RF lenses.

Add that all up, if I want to "solve" my "problems" (I use quotes as the 5DIV really is remarkable) I am leaning toward swallowing hard and the 1DX III.

Yep, just saw those. As for the RF 100-500, it is an f/7.1 lens....and f/5.6 at 400 is not that different than f/7.1 at 500 (400/5.6 = 71 mm while 500/7.1 = 70 mm). So, you are really talking about the same lens as the 100-400, just mirrorless can AF a bit better with less light, or so it seems.

Overall, I get the temptation. If I was coming in with a less populated kit, I would probably be going nuts. And, for someone that takes pictures of pretty much everything, moving...or not, the R5 or R6 both seem like a nice step up given the Eye-AF, fps, and AF point coverage.

I am looking forward to hearing what people think.
Thanks for the info. Pricing make more sense now.