Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

R5? R6? Anyone?

Just curious if anyone on the forum was thinking they would be getting the R5 and R6 that appear to be ready for the official announcement later this week along with a slew of new RF lenses?

Possibly, but I want to build my lens collection first and I don't mind waiting for the used market of RF lenses and bodies to start populating. I usually buy used. I prefer the next guy to buy something he couldn't really afford and I pick it up for 25% off for something that's as good as new.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 07-07-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Still waiting to see about AF tracking performance.

My current kit is just fine for static subjects and landscapes or portraits .... an upgrade for me would be if the AF tracking for birds in flight is as good or better than the Sony a9 or Nikon D850 / D500 / D5.

Don't really want to begin another lens collection at the moment....so the AF system will need to be stellar for me to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Don't really want to begin another lens collection at the moment....so the AF system will need to be stellar for me to consider it.
    Yep. I know the M6 II probably should not be directly compared to the R5, but it has the Digic 8 processor, DPAF, etc. My 5DIV focuses faster. I will say Eye/head tracking/detection are very nice. The R5 is likely better and is also going to have animal/bird eye AF. So, I am intrigued by that, but they would need to leapfrog the 5DIV by a pretty significant margin in terms of speed.

Plus, I really do enjoy my OVF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

Plus, I really do enjoy my OVF.
    Agreed ....

Also the 1Dx III has me put off a bit because of the relatively low pixel count AND to achieve max performance you must use live view and not the OVF ... bummer for my style of shooting.

If, in the near future, I do convince myself that I have to have a better BIF rig I will most likely consider adding a used Nikon or Sony body and lens specifically for that purpose.

A used Nikon D850 or D500 + 500mm PF would be great.

The Sony a9 and a9II are great BIF cameras but lenses are a bit of a dilemma. Based on multiple reviews, I'm not totally in love with the Sony 200-600 so lens choice here (even used) might be big bucks .... another 500 or 600 prime .... yikes!!
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 07-08-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Both cameras appeal to me but at the moment, I'm really happy with my R. Has anyone seen the article on Canon Rumors about leaked pricing for the R5, R6 and the lenses? https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are...r6-and-lenses/

Not really shocked about the price of the R5 but I am a little shocked at the price of the RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM. I really thought it would be north of $3000. I'll have to rent it when it is available to make the decision to buy.
    Last edited by Rogue; 07-08-2020 at 11:13 PM.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Agreed ....

Also the 1Dx III has me put off a bit because of the relatively low pixel count AND to achieve max performance you must use live view and not the OVF ... bummer for my style of shooting.

If, in the near future, I do convince myself that I have to have a better BIF rig I will most likely consider adding a used Nikon or Sony body and lens specifically for that purpose.

The Sony a9 and a9II are great BIF cameras but lenses are a bit of a dilemma. Based on multiple reviews, I'm not totally in love with the Sony 200-600 so lens choice here (even used) might be big bucks .... another 500 or 600 prime .... yikes!!
    Have you seen anything much from birders saying the 1DX III isn't as good as a BIF rig? It is a bit odd, but I have seen remarkably little on it in terms of true BIF evaluations. But, Jonathan is doing pretty well with it

I am tempted, at least a little, by everything. The R5 and R6 actually tempt me a little. The weaknesses I have with my 5DIV are AF coverage, AF speed/tracking, buffer size, and fps. I want to say there is something else, but, I am not recalling it at the moment. The R5/R6 both "solve" my fps and AF coverage issues. The R5 has a CFExpress Type B card slot, so that would solve the buffer issue (just write to the one card). So that is great. AF speed/tracking is TBD.

But I am not a fan of the EVFs I've played with (including the R, a Sony in stores and renting the Fuji and owning the EVF-DC1/2). I do not really want more MPs than the 5DIV. And, probably most significant, I do not want to be tempted by the RF lenses. I really just got my EF lens kit where I want it. I know I could use an adapter, but I know me, and as soon as I have an R body, I'll want at least a few RF lenses.

Add that all up, if I want to "solve" my "problems" (I use quotes as the 5DIV really is remarkable) I am leaning toward swallowing hard and the 1DX III.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Both cameras appeal to me but at the moment, I'm really happy with my R. Has anyone seen the article on Canon Rumors about leaked pricing for the R5, R6 and the lenses? https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are...r6-and-lenses/

Not really shocked about the price of the R5 but I am a little shocked at the price of the RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM. I really thought it would be north of $3000. I'll have to rent it when it is available to make the decision to buy.
    Yep, just saw those. As for the RF 100-500, it is an f/7.1 lens....and f/5.6 at 400 is not that different than f/7.1 at 500 (400/5.6 = 71 mm while 500/7.1 = 70 mm). So, you are really talking about the same lens as the 100-400, just mirrorless can AF a bit better with less light, or so it seems.

Overall, I get the temptation. If I was coming in with a less populated kit, I would probably be going nuts. And, for someone that takes pictures of pretty much everything, moving...or not, the R5 or R6 both seem like a nice step up given the Eye-AF, fps, and AF point coverage.

I am looking forward to hearing what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Have you seen anything much from birders saying the 1DX III isn't as good as a BIF rig? It is a bit odd, but I have seen remarkably little on it in terms of true BIF evaluations. But, Jonathan is doing pretty well with it

I am tempted, at least a little, by everything. The R5 and R6 actually tempt me a little. The weaknesses I have with my 5DIV are AF coverage, AF speed/tracking, buffer size, and fps. I want to say there is something else, but, I am not recalling it at the moment. The R5/R6 both "solve" my fps and AF coverage issues. The R5 has a CFExpress Type B card slot, so that would solve the buffer issue (just write to the one card). So that is great. AF speed/tracking is TBD.

But I am not a fan of the EVFs I've played with (including the R, a Sony in stores and renting the Fuji and owning the EVF-DC1/2). I do not really want more MPs than the 5DIV. And, probably most significant, I do not want to be tempted by the RF lenses. I really just got my EF lens kit where I want it. I know I could use an adapter, but I know me, and as soon as I have an R body, I'll want at least a few RF lenses.

Add that all up, if I want to "solve" my "problems" (I use quotes as the 5DIV really is remarkable) I am leaning toward swallowing hard and the 1DX III.

Yep, just saw those. As for the RF 100-500, it is an f/7.1 lens....and f/5.6 at 400 is not that different than f/7.1 at 500 (400/5.6 = 71 mm while 500/7.1 = 70 mm). So, you are really talking about the same lens as the 100-400, just mirrorless can AF a bit better with less light, or so it seems.

Overall, I get the temptation. If I was coming in with a less populated kit, I would probably be going nuts. And, for someone that takes pictures of pretty much everything, moving...or not, the R5 or R6 both seem like a nice step up given the Eye-AF, fps, and AF point coverage.

I am looking forward to hearing what people think.
    Thanks for the info. Pricing make more sense now.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Agreed ....

All good points! The 'low' pixel count of the 1DXIII (compared to other cameras) does allow for some other performance perks, like lower noise at high ISO and faster shooting. Plus file sizes are smaller so your memory cards and computer won't get bogged down quite so much. Yes there are some things it can arguably do better in the awkward-to-use mirrorless mode, such as eye tracking for portraits, and providing focus points on nearly the entire image. Plus it will shoot even faster in mirrorless, if that's actually necessary (sorta like having "ludicrous mode" in a Tesla?). But I've had great experience with BIFs in the normal optical mode, and as long as you keep the bird within the focus area the camera will track it through all kinds of clutter. For example, one Great Grey Owl that I was tracking a few months ago flew right between me and my buddy. The camera continued to nail it:

I mount my 500 mm lens on a gimbal tripod, whereas something like the Nikon 500 PF would be a breeze to hand hold. So if you don't need the high-ISO performance, or the super fast shutter speed and infinite buffer, then going Nikon and using the PF lens is pretty tempting, for sure. But I think we've come a long ways in terms of tracking performance from previous Canon models including the 1DX II. And I'm sure the R5 will be just as good in that regard.

I should also add, in response to the 'low' MP comment, that 20 MP is still really good. I've sold two copies of this image as 3' x 6' prints, and the clients have been absolutely thrilled with the result.