Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I do have a nice series of images from the back yard that I will share on the forum soon.

Happy to hear that you are also impressed.
    Thanks Joel. Can't wait to see the backlog of pics.

I am impressed, and of course my impressions are still forming. But while the 1DX III was very obvious in what it was and what it did, the R5 is more subtle. For example, the 12 FPS is not much slower than 16 FPS, but the shutter is so quiet, there is no blackout after the initial image, there is little vibration, so, it does not feel like you are blazing away taking that many pictures. Subtle in little things like the shutter release is somehow the most responsive I have used in that if I quickly press and release it, even in H+ mode, I do only get one picture instead of 2-3. The ergonomics on the buttons is perhaps the most intuitive. The only issues I am having is getting used to the MFn button location (for some reason I keep hitting the video record) and I find the Menu button location awkward. Then, as you mentioned, it is nice having the histogram and level through the viewfinder as I am more quickly making my adjustments. I can say, I prefer the view through the OVF, but if using an EVF I might as well lean into its advantages.

Anyway, still getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    It is nice to see people are enjoying the new cameras. I wonder what the DSLR phase out period will be and when many people have changed to mirrorless? When will the new RF mount lenses become the new standard or will many people use their EF lenses?

Dave
    So, one option I was/am actively considering was just riding out my dSLR and EF lenses for another decade or so. As I am sure there will be photographers that select that option, I suspect we will see DSLRs in use for years. But, I also suspect the 1DX III may have been the last DSLR Canon releases. What has my attention is the utter lack of release of any other DSLR, even something lower end like a Rebel, in 2020. Granted, the T8i was released late 2019, but, when else has there been nothing...no releases of lower end DSLRs? Instead, we have the M50 II rumored to be released as Canon's only lower end body in 2020.

Canon is already on record that there will be no new EF lenses, although I am hoping that doesn't apply to EF-m as I want higher end lenses for my M6 II.

In short, I think we are perhaps already reaching the end of the phase out period in terms of new releases. Maybe we see a new Rebel, but I am thinking that is less likely. Instead, the rumors are all for new R mounts, an even higher MP body (~80-90 MP), and perhaps 2 less expensive bodies. I am curious what Canon will do with the <$800 entry level crowd, but perhaps that is what the M line is for. In terms of phase out of sales, maybe 2-3 more years?

As for RF lenses, that is another debate. The adapters are good and really do make this essentially seemless. I currently only have an adapter with a filter (and currently only have a CPL filter), but how nice would it be to only carry around one set of filters and not have to worry about screwing filters on or off? I am excited by this potential, but, of course, I lose it as soon as I go with RF lenses. But, on the RF side of things, it appears the extra buttons on the RF mount allow for extra communication for IBIS and in-lens stabilization giving RF lenses better stabilization than EF lenses, then I am seeing reports that RF lenses have slightly faster AF and that EF lenses occasionally freeze or hunt on R bodies. For me, two other considerations will be the fact that I still have an EF mount SLR and DSLR, so I need EF glass, and then potential resale value of the EF lenses. Is it still reasonable? Has it bottomed out? I haven't even looked yet.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.