Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

I have a 1DX III loaner coming when I get back to NH.

You're gonna love it!

Managed to get decent deal for my R6. 1on1 trade with my 5d4 and couple lenses =) Now just hope canon delivers enough of them to get one right away.

Just to make the "R" system even more tempting:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=35020

I am very impressed with all my breakthrough filters. I suspect these are excellent and if I had an R, or, if I get an R, I will likely get a couple of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    You're gonna love it!
    Ha...I am just wondering how much I am going to love it. I do have to give it back, but before making any decisions involving this much money, I wanted to get it in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Managed to get decent deal for my R6. 1on1 trade with my 5d4 and couple lenses =) Now just hope canon delivers enough of them to get one right away.
    Congrats. I think this first wave of distribution is going to be something like a lottery.

Aaand since i got so good deal on the R6 just ordered myself the RF800mm to finally go back to my photographing root aka birds and animals. So might actually end up takin pictures daytime

Aaand since i got so good deal on the R6 just ordered myself the RF800mm to finally go back to my photographing root aka birds and animals. So might actually end up takin pictures daytime
    Ha...excellent

As for reviews, here is a good one, still video centric. Primarily about video, until 19:50, where he just calls them excellent cameras for stills and then launches in who he thinks these cameras are for, and really, it is many, many people..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXPiu3wpBs

After all this, is anyone surprised Canon punched out an amazing stills camera(s) that are photos first and video second? After all, Canon still has their cinema lineup that are video first.

All the issues I read about are video based. Really, these are perfect for how a shoot. 99% stills with the occasional video, but my videos are 1080, so, none of this affects how I shoot.

Photons to photos has the R5 DR. I assume the R6 is the same as the 1DX III. Then, there is a bit of a loss at low ISO using the Electronic Shutter and, of course as you are using less of the sensor, APS-C.

The hitch at ISO 400 is interesting. Previously I have only seen that on Sony sensors and may implies Canon now has "dual base ISO" as Sony has claimed. Just watching a video on it, it gets down to having a second set of circuitry for adding analog gain, one optimized for low light (higher ISO) and a second optimized for more light (low ISO). Thus, you get a shift, as you see with the R5, at the point where the circuitry shifts. Previously, as I understand it, Canon would apply analog gain to whole stops and then push/pull digitally to the 1/3 stops creating a wavy effect (5DIII here to show the effect). The R5 is the first time I have seen this dual base ISO set up in a canon sensor. Cool

And....the R5 at ISO 100 now tops the Sony A7RIII/IV. I am not going to suddenly flip and say DR is the only thing in the world that matters, but, you know...Canon now has bragging rights..for now.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-06-2020 at 04:28 AM.

This is quite interesting review also about the 600mm and 800mm. (jared polin pabbling warning for weak heart =) )

Aand here is the link https://youtu.be/jZMou9ei2yY

This is quite interesting review also about the 600mm and 800mm. (jared polin pabbling warning for weak heart =) )

Aand here is the link https://youtu.be/jZMou9ei2yY
    I was impressed with the IQ of the mid day bird pics. The detail of the eye of the birds was adequate.
    The rest was not a surprise, the lens usefulness is going to be light limited. The Cheetah picture looked to me to be close to the breaking point and it was just shaded mid day.

Nice review here by John Marriott (who also lives in Canmore, and leads photo tours which I've been on)

https://wildernessprints.blog/2020/0...ck4gozOUS9R-1Q

Pretty glowing review all around!!