Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

I was glad to see all the AF points are available with adapted EF lenses but I was a bit dismayed at the view finder blackout issue.

I was curious why they didn't demo the electronic shutter.

Also despite using an adapter + 500mm EF lens + 2X TC the birds they were trying to image were very small in the frame so I didn't feel like it was a really good demo.

The eye AF with perched birds did seem surprisingly good but that was not really my prime interest in this camera since my current kit does very well with BOAS.

The battery life seems awfully short too ... not up to driving the big lenses with IS and IBIS together perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    The battery life seems awfully short too ... not up to driving the big lenses with IS and IBIS together perhaps?
    I wonder if Tony didn’t give her a fully charged battery or if she took 1,000 shots in an hour. This is something to watch, but I’ve heard others reporting better than expected battery life considering the CIPA rating.

Plus, wasn’t that a MK 1 500???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

Plus, wasn’t that a MK 1 500???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it was.

Also despite using an adapter + 500mm EF lens + 2X TC the birds they were trying to image were very small in the frame so I didn't feel like it was a really good demo.
    And it's not like they were smoothly panning on a tripod or monopod, following a BIF's glide path. The image was bouncing around everywhere. There's no way any predictive autofocus could assist with that. If anything it's impressive how well if working in that situation.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

This is an interesting way of comparing the R5 sensor with many others .....

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/71...dio-test-scene

More R5 info
    Interesting comment in the description about the dramatic drop in frame rate when tracking subjects, especially with a long lens. Is this an inherent problem with mirrorless, since focus is achieved from the sensor?

I was wondering the same thing....perhaps so but I have not read anything from Sony users about that being an issue.

I think in many cases 12 fps will be adequate but I am very interested to see what the electronic shutter can do for flight images....it perhaps could vary with subject distance as well as the lens and/or use of teleconverters in terms of slowing focus acquisition so the frame rate then suffers too.

Only theorizing of course .... hope to find out all these things for myself soon

I was also surprised at the low light performance.

Rolling shutter when using electronic shutter might cause issues for flight images.

Dave

I was wondering the same thing....perhaps so but I have not read anything from Sony users about that being an issue.

I think in many cases 12 fps will be adequate but I am very interested to see what the electronic shutter can do for flight images....it perhaps could vary with subject distance as well as the lens and/or use of teleconverters in terms of slowing focus acquisition so the frame rate then suffers too.

Only theorizing of course .... hope to find out all these things for myself soon

I was also surprised at the low light performance.
    For sure, 12 fps is adequate, but this will always be your peak speed and in reality you're almost never going to get this. It's sort of like salary versus take-home pay... there are always deductions. Lens aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and focusing requirements all impact the actual frame rate you'll see in real use. I note they were seeing between 5-8 fps depending on what lens they were using. I would not be surprised with the 8 fps rate in real-life use, but 5 fps is just way too much of a hit and I hope that is just an anomaly here.