Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am actually enjoying the EVF, especially the exposure simulation and the ability to review magnified images.

I have seen no black out at all shooting with mechanical or electronic shutter but be warned: using electronic shutter will produce a ton of images very quickly.....it's hard to realize how many because there is no sound.

I do not see image degradation when using the electronic shutter

I had posted some other comments in your 1DX 3 thread .... I will paste them here:

A few more features I found on the R5 and 800mm f/11:

Exposure Sim: both on the LCD and in EVF you see what the image will look like based on current settings

A histogram (either brightness or RGB) can be set to display live on the LCD (but not in the EVF)

Crop Mode: 1.6 crop mode with 800mm f/11 gives the field of view similar to a focal length lens of 1280mm and yields 17 mp images (very nice for small birds). No TC needed!!!

Bluetooth: using the Canon camera control app and a smart phone you can remotely control the R5 .... aim it a perch and wait ... when bird is in position just touch the phone and it fires away .... lets you hide better and much less motion involved. Also no cable release needed!!!

Shutter noise: the mechanical shutter is very soft and the electronic shutter dead quiet....so that satisfying machine gun sound is not available. The mechanical shutter is not near as fast as the 1Dx3 anyway.

Flash: does not function with electronic shutter

Control wheels: there are 3 .... the front one and big rear one as usual but another one around the mode button (set to adjust iso by default) They are all programmable.

The 800mm f/11 does not come with a lens hood ... bummer.

The LCD is articulating .... it can be folded inward against the body so no way to scratch it during transportation.

The LCD is a touch screen and almost everything can be adjusted by this method. Also it responds to gestures like an i-phone.

The large files from a full frame shot are slower to process of course .... my 2018 MacBook Pro will often turn on the fans during processing.

No issue overheating at all but I have not shot video

No issue with battery life .... I shot for 2-3 hours yesterday and still had 1/2 battery power left. I did set the LCD and EVF to turn off in 1 minute.

I tried my EF 600mm f/4 with the extender ..... AF is the same, works great, covers almost the entire frame. IQ is better than the 800mm f/11 (you get what you pay for) and using 1.6 crop mode you get the field of view equal to a 960mm f/4 lens with 17 mp images. I need to try adding the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters!

That's the latest news from my perspective.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 08-24-2020 at 05:42 PM.