Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    With Topaz De Noise AI and Sharpen AI software I am able to go into the iso range of 3000-4000 in many cases and still retain good detail even with the 5D MKIV. The 1DX will even go a bit more in many cases especially if the images are for internet presentation.
    I'll second that! I have both those apps and they are fantastic. I get very usable images at ISO 6400 with incredible detail. Much better than I could get with Lightroom processing alone. Very easy to use too. I start with the "auto detect settings" and most of the time that works just fine. I'd suggest getting the DeNoise software first since it also has a built-in sharpening algorithm which is very good. The software goes on sale once in a while so keep an eye out for that.

I just look at everything as a tool. Some, I may not want. While agreed, these f/11 lenses are slow, it is only 2 stops slower than f/5.6. Playing with DOF, and the 800 is ~10 inches at f/11. So, $11k difference in price for 2 stops (optical quality is probably also sacrificed). But, these are comparatively handholdable, lighter, more compact. There would be instances where I might want one of these. The big issue for me is the optical quality. The MFT charts are pretty good, not elite.

I think these are meant as "enthusiast" lenses or maybe even gateway lenses for aspiring birders/etc. For those of us that have already made or will make sizable investments in photography, if I had an RF camera, I suspect I would prefer to do something like the 100-500 with 1.4x TC which would be 700 f/10.

Or, I would get something like the M6 II and pair it with the 100-400 II plus 1.4x TC which would give me something equivalent to ~900 mm f/8.....which is what I did do....

Granted, these new lenses are even lighter... The 600 mm f/11 is 930 g vs the 100-400 II which is 1,590 g (not including the 1.4 TC and it's 225 g).

As for noise, this is ISO 5000 from the M6 II...is there noise, sure, I cleaned up the background, but you can look on the WP and see the noise. Not a bad image, IMO, though:

IMG_3705-SAI by kayaker72, on Flickr

This is ISO 10,000 on the 5DIV...again, I cleaned up the background, but the noise is still on the HB:

Small-7392 by kayaker72, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 07-20-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Took the plunge .... pre-ordered the R5 and EF adapter.

No clue when it will be shipped.

Took the plunge .... pre-ordered the R5 and EF adapter.

No clue when it will be shipped.
    Congrats! That is great. And, I look forward to seeing your results.

Congrats! I am very much looking forward to your feedback, what kind of images it can produce and how it's features compare to the current crop of Canon bodies in terms of getting the shot.

Here is a little sample of animal eye AF tracking and somewhat high ISO performance.

To me this guy is somewhat annoying but in this video there is some interesting info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuOUmhKbzY

Jared is noisy dude sometimes but have to say that the eye af is freaking good.

Does anyone know if a standard CF card reader will read CF express cards?

Does anyone know if a standard CF card reader will read CF express cards?
    No you need a dedicated card reader for CF Express. It would be nice if someone made a multi-purpose card reader that could do both types but I haven't found one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    Jared is noisy dude sometimes but have to say that the eye af is freaking good.
    Agree on both points! The eye AF is quite nice but I think I would still have a hard time using that setting all the time. As an example take the recent bear cub picture that I posted. Before the shot, the bears were grazing in the tall grass and you could just see some brown lumps sticking up a bit every now and then. Suddenly the little cub stood up, so I nailed it with a quick burst. I was in single-point AF mode, so all I had to do was put the dot on it. If I was in eye-AF mode, I really doubt the camera could have found the right focus point as quickly as me. I'm pretty sure that I was too far away for the eye AF to work (my image is cropped), and there was a lot of clutter in the area so the camera could have easily picked a flower instead of the cub as the subject. If I had missed the shot because of that I would probably never want to rely on the eye AF again. That said, I can certainly think of times that it would have been really useful. For example, if you're in a boat and you're bobbing around, it's really hard to keep that single dot on a subject. As soon as you bounce off the animal, the focus lurches to the background and that is super annoying. So having reliable focus tracking would be a huge help. What I need to confirm yet is if the 1DX III tracking will solve that for me. I'm lining up a bear viewing trip for the fall so that could be my best chance.... stay tuned.